Bird feeder and forest floor/mulch/bark underneath

nan99, Mar 24, 6:12am
Well that will teach me for putting bird seed in a bird feeder (which is clamped onto the only position available) over bark/mulch/forest floor - I now have what looks like bean sprouts by the thousands coming up because they have put more onto the ground than in their mouths by the looks of it.So today, I took it all off and will put new stuff down.No more bird seed in that position, so tonight they have roast lamb and left over ham which they are practially fighting over.

miesje, Mar 24, 6:25pm
Try rice - they love it and it will not sprout!

purplegoanna, Mar 24, 8:15pm
rice has no nutritional value, its a mere filler nothing else.

anne1955, Mar 24, 8:36pm
Can I come and be a bird at your house please!Roast lamb and ham, I'd fight for that as well.

anne1955, Mar 24, 8:38pm
Hope that's cooked rice or at least left to soften in water first.don't think it's good for them uncooked remember being told it does nasty things to them.

junie2, Mar 24, 10:10pm
I cook rice for birds every week during winter. I add fats and sugars ( keep leftovers from cooking fat in the freezer all year) use old jams and fallen fruit for sugars. Carb-fat-sugar = plenty of nutrition IMO.

goatchickens, Mar 25, 5:07am
We save cooking fat (lard or suet type fat, that hardens when it's cool) over the year, chuck it in the freezer, and in the winter make suet cakes, with chunky peanut butter, raisins, sunflower seeds and rolled oats.Hang them in the little mesh bags that onions and garlic come in, and the birds go mental all winter long.It's great to watch them in the trees just outside the house - better than TV!

nan99, Apr 27, 7:50pm
Well today they have been fussy, they didn't touch the ham and lamb - how rude !Now the flies are on it so I have to empty it out.Am putting out left over roast veges which they have eaten before.I know rice is not that nutritional but at least it might fill their tummies in the winter if they are really hungry.Last year I melted dripping that you get from the supermarket and added apple, bird seed and roast veges - it was a feeding frenzy - something like out of "The Birds" LOL.