Is this a rose strike?

kinna54, Oct 2, 11:33pm
Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me, as this was myfirst attempt at striking anything. sometime ago I tried to strike some rose cuttings. I had put them in pots of sand and left them. this is what has come up in both pots in different locations. Is this what roses look like when they strike or am I cultivating weeds or something else. TIA.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/415897661.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/415897505.jpg

samanya, Oct 2, 11:38pm
The pics don't link . or maybe it's me?

kinna54, Oct 2, 11:41pm
Sorry try again

harrislucinda, Oct 3, 12:23am
don't look like a rose to me

kateley, Oct 3, 12:41am
My guess would be a seedling of old man's beard.
When a cutting strikes, the piece you put in the pot doesn't disappear, it grows new leaves from the top and new roots from the bottom.

pugswal, Oct 3, 12:41am
Not roses, sorry.

kinna54, Oct 3, 1:33am
oh sheesh. just my luck! I did plant it in sand from the river so that's probably it. oh dear how deeply embarassing. Thanks for the reply. i had better destroy it

marie2244, Oct 3, 2:28am
Looks a little bit like a Clematis climber ? Definitely not a rose.

wrinkles56, Oct 3, 10:14am
clematis I would say.

flier3, Oct 4, 12:27am
Not a rose, but looks like a clematis to me as well.

thea4, Oct 4, 11:26pm
Do not be down on yourself, this is exactly how gardening is learned, put it down to experience, each little mistake builds knowledge.

mybooks, Oct 5, 12:33am
It looks like a clematis to me too. and it might be a beautiful variety. I'd grow it on, keeping it in a pot until you know whether it is the old mans beard. and bin it if so. hope it's something gorgeous for your garden.

madzwhippet, Oct 5, 7:08am
Better to buy some small pumice from Mitre 10. Take cuttings by pulling away a shoot that has just finished its flowers (at shatter is the term) tidy the heel of old wood with a knife or secatures (spelling) leave three sets of leaves never less than 2 sets; put into pumice in a pot about 6inches deep. fill with water and top up the pumice, stand the pot in a dish that will hold water. should root in about 5 weeks.When you pot up the cuttings put some pumice into the potting mix to encourage more rooting. Good luck.

jenben4, Sep 8, 10:03am
They're not roses. (I've grown dozens from cuttings, so I do know what they look like when they start to shoot!)