DVS/solar panel.

rovertniloc, Apr 18, 11:11pm
has anyone got this new technology? Heat from ceiling cavity is taken thru solar panel and back into house via DVS. Interested to hear how it is going.

tigra, Apr 19, 1:29am
And the solar panel is located - where exactly?

rovertniloc, Apr 19, 1:51am
Where would YOU put a solar panel tigra?

cleggyboy, Apr 19, 2:13am
Ummm most DVS systems are useless in brick veneer homes.
How do I know I hear you ask, I have a brick veneer home and DVS.
Only cold damp air in the ceiling cavity.

aredwood, Apr 19, 4:16am
So you get more heat during summer and less in winter. Due to higher heat losses when there is no sun. Don't know what problem this is trying to solve.

Probably be far better off just getting solar PV (electric) panels.

ryanm2, Apr 19, 6:12am
yep - you need a heat exchanger to make these DVS / HRV systems to work as they should.

tweake, Apr 19, 7:30am
your probably sucking up air up the walls via the cavity between the wood frame and the brick. even worse if its wooden floor house (ie house is on piles) and its sucking air up from under the house.
you would have to pipe the inlet to the outside. unfortunately, depending on location that can also draw in moist air at times because the inlet is not well sheltered from the rain.

ceiling cavity would normally be dry air (hot or cold) unless there is leaks or condensation problems or moisture is coming up from below. it may not have enough airflow to dry out the ceiling. that can be caused by poor design or by people accidentally blocking the ceiling ventilation with insulation or damage to the building paper allowing condensation to drip in.

rlr29, Apr 19, 9:38pm
Out of all these things. Concrete tile roofs are what fail DVS. Iron Roofs are fine, tile roofs, just don't HOLD and dry air.

tintop, Apr 19, 11:30pm
No problem if there is an underlay.

cleggyboy, Jan 30, 2:45pm
Yep right on all accounts.
The ground is constantly damp under the house due to it all being peat in the area.
I wasted money putting in the DVS but it has helped a bit with the condensation in the winter.