Mice and underfloor insulstion

casswill, Jun 17, 9:22pm
Ever since putting our underfloor insulstion in last winter we have trapped loads of mice under the house. The only reason it's come to light is a few daring ones have found their way into the house so we started leaving a trap under the house and since then have caught plenty, some weeks there could be three or four and a few weeks with none. It's it possible they nest in the thick insulstion? I'm reluctant to put bait out as have heard they end up dying in the wall linings and smell. Anyone else had similar case with the mice this year?

bluefrog2, Jun 17, 10:24pm
I don't put bait down for the same reason. Mice come into my house when the weather gets really cold, and I think they come over from the field across the road. So mine is an intermittent, but recurring problem. I have a trap set up where they usually enter the house, and that catches any scout mice that try to explore my territory.

You've obviously got a colony of mice living fairly close to or under your house. Keep trapping, and look around outside to see if there's food around that might attract them. Maybe your compost bin is too close to the house, for example. Or they've been scrounging food from your kitchen floor. You've already located a trap where they travel in and out. If you can keep trapping them all until they're gone, then make sure there's no food around to attract more, that might solve the problem. You'll probably always have to keep a trap at that spot, and check it now and then. good luck.

casswill, Jun 17, 10:57pm
Thanks bluefrog2. Originally we found we did have a little tiny gap between the floor and wall behind the oven where those two who did come in had found a home behind the knobs in the oven. So that got plugged up and no more in house or oven since just under the house. But being an old house the will know doubt always be little gaps behind the kitchen cabinetry we can't plug up. but I'm now wounding if it's coincidence but the neighbour got a cat around the same time last year since noticing this so perhaps the mice hang around for the cats food too. The cat lives just across the fence about four metres from where our trap is. You'd think the cat could help catch them but no. We don't have a compost bin and make sure all recycling tins in bin are well washed. Guess it's just a matter of keeping on trapping the little mice.

koru67, Jun 17, 11:00pm
I read an article a few weeks ago that said because we have had mild weather the rat and mice population is greater this year.

jonners2013, Jun 18, 1:23am
Wait, I might be missing something but what is the link between your installing insulation and there being mice under the house? I think the two things are unrelated.

Is there are perimeter foundation wall? Can you seal up any large/obvious holes the mice are getting in through? Obviously you need to maintain ventilation though, so don't seal up the vents.

bluefrog2, Jun 18, 1:58am
Re: Neighbours cat.
I absolutely do think that could be it. I once lived on a 3rd floor apartment in Sydney, and one summer cockroaches started coming in over the balcony. After bug-bombing the place, we discovered a derelict house in the next street had just been demolished. Some neighbours thought they'd even seen roaches migrating in daylight away from that property.

Either way, the solution is still to trap and kill all the adult mice and don't provide any nice, new breeding areas for them.

bluefrog2, Jun 18, 1:59am
I think OP is worried that underfloor insulation is providing a desirable breeding area for the mice.

whitehead., Jun 18, 4:02am
mice hedge hogs and other small hairy things love under floor insulation if you get it done you have to keep you cats and dogs out becaus ethey go for the mice and rats if they are around .i found that along with the traps a large bucket of water with a ruler and a bit of string with a bit of cheese or a chunk of peanut butter hanging off it .half full the bucket with water . you will drown the hairy ones ,string needs to be about 6inches long so they have to drop off good luck with them they are a pain

whitehead., Jun 18, 4:05am
mice love insulation

whitehead., Jun 18, 4:11am
if your drive runs beside your house you may find that you have mice digging nests under it and to fix that you get a can of expanding foam and you full the mice /rat holes with small stones and expanding foam . just the foam wont do it but the stones hurt their little teeth . the concret on your drive gets warm through the day and stays warm most of the night the hairy ones ar not silly

casswill, Jun 18, 4:23am
Yes, the concrete drive sure does run next to the house. DH will be very busy scouring for gaps under the house and drive this weekend.

frank1, Jun 18, 4:48am
Allways thought poison made rats/mice search for water-thus leaving house to find?--so dont die in house

jonners2013, Dec 13, 4:58pm
how so? you suggesting they eat it, live in it or just like snuggling up in it?