Anyone ever resprayed/re-enamelled an old bath?

bfinn, Jul 9, 7:16am
x1
I"m not sure what the correct terminology is, but have any of you guys ever had an old bath re-sprayed in cases of the old enamel wearing out or being stained? We were told to do this for our old bath (by a real estate agent), but having read a few online reviews am now not sure that it's the best way to go. We're on a pretty tight budget and in our first home. we were planning to get this done to tide us over for a few years and then look at completely renovating the bathroom. now, I"m not so sure it's a wise investment. Any experiences of this? TIA :)

zoopa, Jul 9, 8:19am
My brother did. Turned his bath from mint green to white. It was going great until the tenants dogs scratched it at bath time. It was a small scratch, all things considered, there were no other marks on it. Lasted a good few years until he moved in, and fully reno'd the place

cabrio1, Jul 9, 8:24am
We had ours done, I think about $450 a few years ago.
Still looks great but not as hardwearing as the original stuff, have to be careful not to use an abrasive cleaner.
We mostly use a shower so can't comment on a bath in constant use but very happy with the job done.

christin, Jul 9, 7:54pm
im going to try the tubby diy stuff. around $200 vs $600 ish.

my whole bathroom needs redoing but wont be doing that for a while so this will just tidy it up in the meantime. has some good reviews on amazon so fingers crossed! I think its all in the prep so will be careful with that, and hey its gotta look better than it is now!

bfinn, Jul 10, 7:26am
Ooohh I'd be keen to hear how this turns out?! We have so little money left over from buying lol so want to make sure we spend only what we have to. The bath will get a lot of use too so if it's going to flake off etc then I"m not so keen. urgh bathroom renos are so spendy!

bfinn, Jul 10, 7:27am
Zoopa- did he get it done professionally or was it a DIY?

deecee2, Jul 10, 7:59am
We had ours done professionally, many years ago. It turned out extremely well, and we were very happy with it. (Sold the house, so don't know how it is now.)

magoo2, Jul 10, 8:23am
if it is just badly stained ,try cleaning it with oven cleaner .We have also had some success using white vinegar soaked on paper towels and leaving it on overnight then flushing with lots of water

bfinn, Jul 10, 8:54am
Oh great, thank you for the tip! I'll try those things. IT's got a blue stain, I assume from leaking taps or something over many years? And the area around the bath plug looks a bit grot, even though it's clean iykwim. It's probably just all wear and tear and age. but I'll give this a go and if it doesn't work maybe try the DIY way :)

christin, Jul 10, 8:25pm
heres some information, check out the reviews at the bottom. got a few 5 stars.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tubby-Standard-Bath-Resurfacing-White/dp/B00E9VEOY4

ayjay1, Jul 11, 5:44pm
But they dont deliver to NZ. Does anyone know of a similar product available in NZ?

ayjay1, Jul 11, 7:57pm
Bunnings have a product called White Knight "Tub and Tile" found it on the Nett and they had a video telling you how to install it.
I am going to see if they still stock the product, today
You didn't need any fancy gear to apply it

bfinn, Jul 11, 10:24pm
Oh great, let me know how it goes pretty please? :)

christin, Jul 11, 10:36pm
That was just for reviews, you can buy in nz

http://surfaceprotect.co.nz/tubby-diy-bath-resurfacing-kit.html

apollo11, Jul 12, 8:20am
We had one done, the guy used 2pak paint sprayed on, just like doing a car. Not as tough as baked enamel though.

bfinn, Jul 12, 9:18am
I had a look at that Tubby one for $195, then Bunnings sells one for $75. I wonder what the difference is? The former comes with all the gear (sandpaper, trays, brushes etc). not sure if the difference in price reflects this or what? Tempted to start with the cheaper one and see how it goes. Although having said that Bunnings also had a brand new bath on their website for $210! So not much dearer than respraying! But doesn't include installation obviously. I wonder what that runs to?

geoff_m, Jul 15, 7:47am
We had our bath done in 1999. We did it again when we moved out in 2013. - about $750 as I recall. The suction pad mat had damaged it - they recommend not using them and (as I recall) we had a non slip bottom this time
Our bath was an old long one circa 1930s and worth doing as it is deeper than the new ones.

bfinn, Jul 15, 7:56am
I went to Bunnings at the weekend and they'd sold out so I'm getting them to give me a ring when it's back in stock and I'll give it a go myself. I think it's worth a good try for $75 lol

jill117, Nov 20, 4:50pm
Pumice will remove the stains. (only to be tried on the old enamelled baths though - do not try on modern plastic type ones!)