HELP identify this wood.plz

redhead96, Jan 21, 10:19pm
Which wood are you wanting people to identify there seems to be 3 types!

jussa, Jan 21, 10:23pm
the one thats cracked on the floor part.

ro42, Jan 21, 10:37pm
Looks like MDF that's got wet and swollen. Is it like cement or plasterboard, or is it more like cardboard! The big piece being held up looks like MDF too - and no, you wouldn't use it for a deck.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 21, 11:49pm
looks like a fibralite!Used for cladding cheap garages - I guess you could use it for a deck!Not a timber

imagine4, Jan 22, 12:45am
you got a better pic of the peice of wood in question

hammer23, Jan 22, 12:55am
It is fibrolite used as a decking materail in days gone by. Go and see Placemakers/Carters who should be able to help you.

blackwood9, Jan 22, 12:58am
No it definitly is not suitable deck material - not even legal
I am an experience builder

ro42, Jan 22, 1:25am
If it's fibrolite, doesn't it contain asbestos!

ebygum1, Jan 22, 1:58am
Looks like compressed sheet to me,and yes,it is used for decks,but very expensive.You would use 18mm thick for a deck.

trade4us2, Jan 22, 5:56am
The cracked bit looks like Fibrolite, which is asbestos cement. You should not breathe in the dust from it. It used to be used for decks but needs a lot of support, above or below. Like, maybe you could span a 100mm gap underneath. It looks like it's spanning maybe 600mm, which is far too much.

It looks like there is treated pine decking on top of the Fibrolite on the right, which is fine.
The piece of MDF standing up is not suitable for outdoors. It will swell up and fall apart.

jussa, Jan 22, 6:54am
MDF is just temp (so no one falls in) til we get it replaced which i am hoping is by tomorrow. what other material can i use to put there in place of fibrolite!

trade4us2, Jan 22, 9:27pm
More of the H3 pine decking timber is probably best. That's about $23 per square metre.

trade4us2, Feb 4, 3:15pm
I can't see how wide the gap with the hole is. 600mm is OK, 400mm is better, for pine decking.
If the gap is bigger than 600mm it might need some more joists underneath.
In another house I had a deck with Fibrolite like that. Under the Fibrolite was 100x25mm timber, 100mm apart, so my Fibrolite couldn't break. It was there to keep water from going to the carport underneath.