Kwila or pine on retaining wall ?

comadi, Nov 5, 4:47am
If price wasn't a factor, and you prefer the look and colour of kwila over stained pine; (tread facing down); which would be stronger/more durable for a capping board on a retaining wall ?
Obviously kwila is only 19/20 mm thick versus 50 mm options on pine, but I think the hard wood would give the sh*tty pine were sold a run for its money.

survivalkiwi, Nov 5, 5:09am
Kwila it not the right product for a retaining wall. I you are after the look I would build a normal pine wall and batten and cover with kwila.

happychappy50, Nov 5, 5:28am
Would'nt be using kwilia either,no guts with the dimensions it's sold in,go with t p & as S K says line it in kwila

zak410, Nov 5, 5:31am
. even just for capping I think it will be too weak and 'bow' between posts, plus 20mm looks too thin for that job.

stevo2, Nov 5, 5:57am
^^This^^, and Kwila will bleed over the pine

comadi, Nov 5, 6:47am
Yeah the wall has been built in pine and stained with Wattyl Rustic Oak stain, (very similar colour to Kwila.
I never put a capping board on top, but due to what looks like some early movement, I am going to cap it.

underconstructy, Nov 5, 8:08am
What this guy said.

ebygum1, Nov 5, 7:33pm
Just a note,you can buy Kwila in various thicknesses up to 100mm. But as stated not the timber for this job.

newtec1, Aug 7, 6:55pm
Although pine will out last other timbers because of the treatment, it won't stand for too long in the sun and keep it's shape.You will find it will shrink , move, and twist and look like rubbish after a while.If you can get 40mm kwila or even Vitex/ Macracarpa it will be more stable,but won't last as long. I have bult plenty of decks and retainers and fences using pine kwila and Vitex, and pine wouldn't be my first choice except in concealed areas and ground retention situations.