Porina/Grass Grub

hazelthecat, Jun 7, 9:06am
Have a bad infestation on both front and back lawns. Is there a killer for them that works?
TIA

hound31, Jun 7, 10:10am
There is, but all of the garden centres here seem to have run out. There seems to be an epidemic of the fat little stinkers this year. I tried Neem granules but they didn't work. My front and back lawns look dreadful.
Yates make granules but you have to soak the lawn for two hours afterwards, which wouldn't be great if you were on tank water.
Someone told me to look for Yates Complete Lawn Insect Control, but they snaffled the last bottle in their garden centre and I can't find any in bunnings. It's a bottle you attach to your hose.

johnn, Jun 7, 10:12am
It sounds like the damage to the grass is already done so you are too late but go to Bunnings or Mitre10 & buy the granules, sprinkle it on the grass & when it rains (or you water) the grubs will come to the surface & die (then the birds will probably eat the dead grubs & die too). In the past I have fought them without much success but where we are now we have beach type grass & I havn't seen any signs of grass grub.

sumstyle, Jun 7, 10:50am
Rudd Kleinplast on the readio yesterday said to use BioShield.

hound31, Jun 7, 11:10am
Thanks for that, will have a look in the garden centre. i don't listen to gardening shows on the radio so didn't know about it.

martin11, Jun 7, 1:43pm
Thats a mould /moss killer not an insect killer for grass grub

hound31, Jun 7, 2:09pm
That's why I deleted my first message as I'd had the same result. However, I Googled Rud Kleinpast/grassgrub and came upon the transcript of the radio show sumstyle mentioned. There is in fact a product for grass grub under the Bio name, have a look.

hound31, Jun 7, 2:19pm
https://biostart.co.nz/bioshield-grass-grub-liquid/
This is the stuff sumstyle was referring to. There is a link to the product in the article.

pauldw, Jun 7, 7:16pm
It's too late for Bioshield this season.

"Apply to actively feeding grass grub larvae when they are in the late second to mid-third instar stage of development. This stage occurs between February and mid-April."

korban, Jun 7, 7:42pm
Porina is not the same as grassgrub. You need to work out which one you have, then treat accordingly.

anne1955, Jun 9, 7:07pm
Ok interesting, I have been working in new garden all day. In new rental, and it is full of what we called grass grub mostly looking like they are sleeping for winter :) Sort of white/clear catapilur (sp) and then I was chatting with a friend on phone and said there was dozens of these little sods :( And wondered if hens ate them? And are they suitable to feed to hens? I have a neighbor with hens and seems a waste if I can toss into a bucket and feed them to the hens? Only 2 worms :( and place seems to have a heap of manure and straw on it. Is it too rich for nice wee worms? Plenty of baby snails in another part of garden bugger. But on bright side a lot of honey bees around. was actually wondering about feeding them over winter? I have a 1kg of honey that has turned to mostly crystal state, and I am lucky enough to have been given more honey almost more than I know what to do with. And as I can't get a pole in garden yet high enough to use it as a bird feeder. Wondered if I could put it out for honey bee's?

hazelthecat, Jun 10, 8:24am
Reading about Bioshield leads me to believe it is a commercial product not available to Joe Bloggs.
Thanks anyway.

regy_2005, Jun 10, 4:05pm
I have in my lawn what I think is grass grub and blackbirds having a fieldday ripping my lawn to bits

brightlights60, Jun 10, 8:38pm
I have a friend who is a landscaper. We had grass grub 2 years running. He had a look and told me some interesting stuff that worked. If you use a lawn rake and are raking up portions of your lawn where its dead and dying, thats the part you treat. You do not have to treat the whole lawn, I never did and after 2 years (two doses) they have never come back. The "prills" you buy to treat it are expensive but nothing else works as well.

sumstyle, Jun 10, 9:37pm
It is advertised as being sold (retail) at:
Inta-Ag, Farmlands, Farm Source, Fruitfed Supplies, Horticentre & Tasman Crop, Livestock Supplies, PGG Wrightson.

voyager4, Jul 18, 6:54am
Toss the ones you find out on the bird feeder.