Renovating bedroom need to add new powerpoint

mbi15, Aug 25, 12:38pm
I'm renovating my girls bedroom, im stripped wallpaper and i have a plasterer coming on a couple weeks.

I want to add another power point and replace the white covers on the remaining powerpoint and light switches.

Just wondering if it would best to get the electrician in after its plastered and painted or should i do it before?

oddjobscool, Aug 25, 12:54pm
Before.

alston, Aug 25, 1:25pm
Made easier if you have a PowerPoint on another rooms adjoining wall.

mbi15, Aug 25, 2:16pm
The room beside that wall is a shower room so no powerpoint there unfortunately

alston, Aug 25, 2:43pm
I asked a sparky for another point, the one he suggested above, but said if I had wanted another without the backing plug, he would have had to remove some of the gib. As the decorators were already working, had to forget that idea.

bill1451, Aug 25, 7:44pm
your answer is there before you, if you are gibstopping then cut holes either side of the dwangs and bore holes in them also cut a hole just below the top plate and bore a hole in that, run your cable and then glue pieces of gib behind the gib in the holes, when the glue is dry glue some pieces of gib to the gib you just glued, this is assuming your sparky has not got a long extension drill bit, before you drill a hole in top plate check in ceiling that there are no cables or pipes, you may be able to drill the top plate from above, if your sparky is any good he will know all this

lyng1, Aug 26, 9:01pm
Make all the powerpoints doubles. I have 3 x doubles in my bedroom and still use a powerboard!

gpg58, Aug 26, 9:13pm
Still easy enough with some capping fixed to wall, ideally in a corner where least noticeable, could paint it to match too. example for corners- https://www.bunnings.co.nz/d-line-conduit-trunking-22x22mm-1-4round-2-0m-white_p00188202

inatiz, Aug 27, 11:15am
I replaced a lot of my discoloured covers with new ones purchased from mitre10.

hazelnut2, Aug 27, 11:42am
I would seriously consider replacing the WHOLE power plug unit. The old ones are full of gaps which let in an awful lot of cold air, the new ones are designed with modern building codes in mind and are sealed.

bartandnae, Aug 27, 9:06pm
There’s different options the electrician could do, depending if there’s room under the floor it would be easier to drill up from the bottom plate into the wall space and run cables from below. Especially if you want the heatponts low down. Or if it’s an older house and has no dwangs they could drill thru the top plate and drop a string down to where you want the socket.
It would be easier for them to come see you before you get the plasterer in, they will talk you thru the options. Also if your house isn’t RCD protected they will need to install one either on the switchboard or the socket itself. That could get quite pricey for you.

bartandnae, Aug 27, 9:10pm
Also I would replace the remaining heatpoints and light switches. Depending on the era of the house it will tidy it up. And it can be difficult to find the right cover plates if the house is over 10 years old.

bartandnae, Aug 27, 9:21pm
I’m an electrician and I’ve never heard anyone complain that they get cold air coming thru their old heatpoints. Old downlights yes. And I once had someone ask me to replace a modern brush plate because a mouse had come thru it!

hazelnut2, Aug 28, 3:16pm
Youo might never have heard, but the doesn't mean no one else hasn't!

My 1960's house had some old and some 1990's power points and man, did the COLD air pour through the holes of both of them if no plug was in them and also seeped out around the edges when the plugs were in.

Put your face near them on a cold windy day!

johotech, Oct 1, 12:06pm
Yep. The old PDL 60 series are the worst. Because they aren't sealed, it also supplies airflow to any potential ignition source like a loose terminal.
Plus, the air flow through them ensures that they get a good coating of dust on the inside just to add to the fire danger.
These ones also are very likely to have loose terminals because of the way they are designed.

There's plenty of companies trying to tell people about the problems with them.
https://wiresplus.co.nz/author/wiresplus/