Re carpeting bedroom.

chewbeka, Jun 30, 8:34am
Hey guys im recarpeting a bedroom in our 1960s house. Pulled up old carpet and underneath is 5mm hardboard, then building paper on floorboards with big gaps between them. The hardboard is smelly. Do i replace with cement board or is there a specific type of product for this job. Has been quite damp under house in the past. Cheers for any advice.

hammer23, Jun 30, 11:31am
I think you have to deal with the dampness under the house first by covering the ground with plastic sheeting and drainage around the building. Someone has recognised the problem before and tried to fix it. and to be doubly sure you could do the same again and maybe use plywood over the plastic or if the hardboard is just smelly wash it down with hot soapy water/dettol etc then paint and put it back. Best of luck

annies3, Jun 30, 10:54pm
Sounds as though the original floor boards may have been wet when installed and shrunk when dry, as if they were (are )T&G they should have been very close, so the gaps between the boards would allow a lot of draft which the next person along stopped by using the building paper and hard board, I find underneath houses are always a bit dank smelling even when dry, but as po 2 advises treat the dampness first then decide how to redo your floor.

soxxy, Dec 3, 9:13am
I think you need under floor insulation against the boards as well. It's made a lot of difference to our pre-60's house. We pulled up the lino and the carpet and now have polished rimu floors.