How much does plastering an old bedroom cost?

mbi15, Aug 5, 8:32am
I've been removing old wallpaper from two bedrooms and found they didn't use tape in the joins and the old gib is a bit damaged.

Any ideas how much plastering costs, some may need skim coating some might just be tape and plaster?

I am worried it may be thousands so I'm not stripping the hallway just incase i can't afford it. Any ideas of approx cost for this kind of plastering

Thanks

iluvmuse, Aug 5, 10:57am
Not thousands but maybe around the thousand mark. You could possibly do a couple of steps for them to save money i.e. pigment sealer and sanding their plaster.

kindajojo, Aug 5, 10:03pm
Depending on how bad the walls are it may be worth regibbing, thus minimal plastering. especialy if you are able to do it yourself. It also means you wont need to be pouring on sealers etc and give you a better finish
Are you repapering or painting.

happychappy50, Aug 5, 11:08pm
Redid a bathroom last week where the owner had stripped off all the old wallpaper,I had to tape & reset some joints,skim coated as he had damaged the paper on the Gib,sanded,sealed & x2 painted the walls & ceiling cost just under $k

blueviking, Aug 6, 7:45am
scrape the joins out yourself. Saves a build up of plaster. You don't need to pigment seal(waste of time & money) as the stopper has to sand it to get good adhesion. To skim & sand 2 bedrooms should be well under $1000.
Go to Builderscrack and get a couple of quotes.

punkinthefirst, Aug 11, 1:39pm
If you re-gib, you have a chance to add insulation behind the new Gib. I guess it all depends how badly damaged the old gib is.

supernova2, Aug 11, 9:23pm
Hmm. The piggy sealer is to stop the water in the stopping compound attacking the damaged paper face on the old gib. Often there will be bits of old wallpaper still on the wall as well and if you just slap the compound straight on the wall those bits of unsealed paper will bubble up and make a right (and left) mess. The stoppers we use insist on piggy sealer on any old gib they are skimming.

cagivachick1, Aug 11, 9:52pm
builders crack waste of time

blueviking, Aug 12, 8:22am
So your "stoppers" don't sand the sealer to help get a better bond? I normally sand the bare gib wall to get rid of any bits of leftover wallpaper.

happychappy50, Aug 12, 9:02am
My method is to pole sand a bare wall after wall paper has been removed,I skim coat or tape old joints then sand,install a sealer over that & a couple of top coats.Have used this system for decades & have never had a fail.

bassmo1, Aug 12, 10:59am
If you can strip wallpaper you can learn to plaster then the cost is only what it costs you to buy the product and tools. I can do it, my son learnt from me and he does it now, it's not hard. I learnt from youtube. The result is good enough for us, a jouneyman plasterer would take a fraction of the time to do it and is a good bet if money is no object.

supernova2, Aug 12, 9:22pm
Are you trying to sand the damaged face of the GIB paper? As far as I can see that simply makes the problem worse. Obviously get rid of any dags but once the factory surface has gone you should (in the perfect world) put a coat of piggy sealer on before the skim coat. See page 93
https://www.gib.co.nz/assets/Uploads/LiteratureFile/GIB-Site-Guide/GIB-Site-Guide-2014.pdf

iluvmuse, Aug 12, 9:38pm
pig sealer also neutralises any remnant paste and size. Otherwise these may cause the plaster to "shell off" at a later stage of painting. I've seen it happen on the final coat.

blueviking, Aug 13, 7:48am
Or is that because the painters didn't use proper sealer over the plaster or didn't wipe the dust off.
Is that the same gib people that at one stage banned the use of paper tape.

trade4us2, Aug 13, 7:12pm
A friend learned to strip the wallpaper and replaster his whole house. It took him a long time but cost almost nothing. and looks perfect. Just as well, as he is a perfectionist!

apollo11, Aug 13, 7:45pm
With fresh gib it's a lot easier to get a good finish. Plus you can correct wonky studs if needed and maybe find any tools accidentally left in walls lol. I've found a few good tools inside walls, plus half a dozen old cans of beer tucked between floors and a shopping bag of girl's panties.

happychappy50, Oct 8, 9:15am
Only a light pole sand to get rid of the dags,obviously being too heavy handed will pull further paper.

Last one I did the homeowner had buggered the paper so skimming took longer.

Everyone has their method,mine works for me.