Attaching flashing to Linea board

nala2, Nov 3, 9:18am
I have a pergola attached to an existing building and want to attach flashing to the gap. I have searched the Hardie tech sheets but can only find info on attaching under when installing the boards. I can't see where the original nailing points are to use nails , can I screw it to the under side of the lap?

superoman, Nov 3, 9:36pm
It probably wont work very well. It is best to pry up the linea weatherboard with a crow bar . the nails then should show up. punch them through to the frame then slide the folded flshing under

omamari, Nov 4, 7:29am
If you have a multi- tool you could insert the blade into the join, run it along and cut the nails off. A bit tidier than prying the boards apart

sanders4, Nov 4, 5:42pm
Another simple way is to screw the flashing to the board and seal well with either no more nails or roof and gutter silicone. Always use masking tape each side of join to avoid these adhesives from making a mess.

survivalkiwi, Nov 5, 4:12pm
No more nails as a sealer? Mate. Sell your tools and don't do any diy.

tim41, Nov 5, 4:15pm
hope your not doing work for other people

sanders4, Nov 5, 9:56pm
just fishing for a brainless mutt and guess what? prove me wrong knowall - 40 years experience here

sanders4, Nov 5, 9:58pm
not your mate as you have no nuts

golfdiver, Nov 6, 6:21am
Surely you would use MS instead of no more nails?

survivalkiwi, Nov 6, 6:24am
This is Mr survival.

survivalkiwi, Nov 6, 6:28am
And here is the reason we had to bring in the LBP system.

stevo2, Nov 6, 6:31am
^^^^^^Worst advice yet. ^^^^^^

tim41, Nov 6, 7:07am
doesn't mean you've been doing it correctly for 40 years though

martin11, Nov 6, 7:23am
You have very little experience , most silicon sealer fail after about 10 years ,this is well known . They were one of the worst things introduced to the building industry , old school builders did not have silicon and knew how to do flashings properly .

happychappy50, Nov 6, 7:39am
I agree,a physical barrier (proper flashing) is going to be more effective than silicone,seen too many poor results relying on silicone as the 1st line of defence against water ingress.

golfdiver, Nov 6, 7:40am
To be fair, old school tradesmen used galv for flashings , which could be soldered. The modern day flashing materials are zincalume which while they have greater corrosion resistance, cannot be soldered so rivets and sealers are the method used.

martin11, Nov 6, 8:06am
Old flashings were only available in 8ft lengths ,these days you can get them 7.0 m + lot less need for joining ,and a join done properly seldom needs a sealant .

pauldw, Nov 6, 8:48am
A sealant in the right place wouldn't be exposed to UV unlike something smeared on as a bandaid later.

golfdiver, Feb 18, 5:11pm
Lol, another who shouldn’t be doing this sort of work