Grass/Black beetles - Help please

rachael166, Dec 18, 9:47pm
Hi,

I have had problems with swarms of bugs every summer sinced I moved into my house. They seem to be attracted to lights at night and they hit our windows quite loudly trying to get to the lights. Every morning I find piles of them all crawling over each other in my pets water bowls.

I showed a photo of them to someone this morning and they said they are either grass or black beetles and that they eat the roots of grass - this would explain why the grass I planted in my back yard is very patchy and never grows well.

How would I get rid of these beetles! I can't put down anything that may be poison to my cats or dog. I have also posted this in Farming.

gardie, Dec 18, 10:51pm
Sprinkle over neem granules and water them in.Some available on TM.

steptoesnr, Dec 20, 9:43pm
diazinon 20G and try to use just before rain.

urbanrefugee54, Dec 21, 8:07am
google them & you might find something simple to get rid of them! some say rolling the paddocks stop them! we get them in the paddocks & it seems they don't infest the same area the next year! & if you see a hole in your soil/grass area - it's the grub.

medicina, Dec 23, 2:59am
Turn off your outside lights!

medicina, Dec 23, 3:00am
And close curtains obviously

crackerjack19, Dec 23, 8:31pm
Grass grub beatles are the parents of the grubs (that turn into beatles) it is the grubs that decimate lawn areas where as the beatles only eat/leaves of some plants over a short period at this time of year.They only fly at night and can make one hell of a mess of some plants - - they seem to like the young shoots on Pear trees and the only way I have found to deter them is to spray with some foul smelling insecticide or Derriss dust or similar. They only fly in plague proportions for a couple of weeks - - if that.

rav413, Dec 29, 12:46am
I had this problem for about 4 years continuously - but not for the past 2.Fingers crossed.I bought pellets from garden centres /supermarkets.It says on the label (grass grub, porina etc) and costs about $17.Shake over dead grass and saturate ground - hose going twice daily for about 30mts).In the end I applied grass seed and fertiliser at the same time as the pellets .Has worked so far - 2 years on.