What ceiling Board? 1960's House

jojo76, Jan 19, 1:15pm
I have a 1960's house and in one of the bedrooms there has been a roof leak at some stage and the ceiling has some kind of paper over the board, which is peeling - i have no idea what this 'paper' is or what kind of board would have been used in a 1960's house.
Ideally as the board has mould on it so would like to replace. Any ideas on what the board would be? and how thick it would be? cheers

ryanm2, Jan 19, 2:20pm
Pinex ? With the paint peeling?

kenw1, Jan 19, 2:37pm
Hardboard and ceiling paper?

jojo76, Jan 19, 3:42pm
This will be it upon googling, cheers

brightlights60, Jan 19, 8:42pm
Possibly fibrous plaster and its been papered over for the paint finish. Our house is 1969/70 and that's whats on ours. As we replace we do it with gib board. We found a leak in the ceiling after the earthquakes, which was when work stopped, and we had to pay for the repair of it all, then the painting continued.

hammer23, Jan 20, 12:12am
Some times the ceilings were wall papered with anaglyptic paper to hide any bumps etc. I have seen it done so it may be that,and the paper is coming off.

omamari, Jan 20, 6:58am
As it is a 60's house I'm guessing it has a ceiling light. Take off the light fitting, there will be a hole for the wiring.You will be able to see the thickness and type of material that the ceiling consists of

pauldw, Jan 20, 8:17am
Plasterboard as distinct from fibrous plaster sheet has been made in NZ since 1925. By 60's why not a conventional gib ceiling?

brightlights60, Jan 20, 10:37am
Ours is 1969/70 and no gib init when we started.

doree36, Jan 10, 2:01am
We have a 1958 brick and tile (and rimu timber) house we have fibrous plaster ceilings - some with beautiful cornices - and our kitchen ceiling has embossed anaglypta wall paper on it which was there when we moved into it in 1972 we have painted over many times - but starting to peel off now.