Lessons learned the hard way.

Page 2 / 44
atlantis3, Dec 28, 3:12pm
Part way through repairing and painting the roof, pop down for a quick drink and when coming back onto the roof step onto the fresh paint and as you slide over the edge grapping and removing the spouting admire all the rasor sharp coiled up corrogated iron that you are about to meet.

rozke, Dec 28, 4:02pm
Do not strike a match to found out where the leak is coming from the motor mower.Lucky vegetable garden had plenty of dirt.Wife watching from kitchen window could not believe what was happening outside.Result: new lawnmower.Cheaper to have same repaired by experienced mechanic!

masturbidder, Dec 28, 8:08pm
Come on guys, there must be 6 more silly mistakes to make 1,000!

peanuts, Dec 28, 11:25pm
Bump please, I have been reading this from the begining and I still get tears in my eyes.

seedy4, Dec 29, 9:14am
bumping up = great read!

1meme, Dec 30, 10:57pm
If solar lights fall over dont leave lying down as 12 year old gets the blame for setting garden on fire [he alerted us to the fact of smoke] we contacted fireservice to visit.who said given the facts of extreme hot weather, sheltered position, dry linseed straw.etc etc we were lucky that it happened in this particular garden as others would have been a major disaster.they are now conducting an experiment with one of the lights in a similar and controlled manner.

soc_butterfly, Dec 30, 11:22pm
don't go barefoot in a room where the carpet has just been removed.ouch ouch ouch ouch

bradfam, Dec 31, 7:49am
bumpity bump - up you go!

donnabeth, Dec 31, 11:02pm
another dumb washing machine question I used my daughter's brand new washing machine and gave it a wipe with a soft cloth afterward. The cloth slipped from my hand and disappeared between the drum and the case. In a panic I rang teh repair man who calmly asked me if I'd lookedunder the machine. There on the floor was my cloth.

hmck, Dec 31, 11:51pm
Do not assume when you are starting a new lot of compost that the cat that was watching you a minute ago has gone elsewhere - a cat in the bottom of the compost bin that has just had a shower of grass clippings on his head is a very unhappy cat.(And of course it was my fault - he'sa cat - it's never his fault).

hutchk, Jan 1, 4:19am
Excellent! I started this thread on January 5th this year, which makes him (or her) nearly a year old. Can't believe it's still going, keep it up folks!

bradfam, Jan 1, 6:21am
Good on you and thanks hutchk have had many laughs this year thanks to your thread!

koru67, Jan 2, 7:37pm
A New Years bump for the DIYers.
Someone out there must have got a new "DIY toy" for xmas with stories to tell .

bit, Jan 3, 1:24am
During the hot summer months make sure all the family put their bones and other meat scraps in a bag in the freezer. AND don't be the first one up in the morning. But if you ARE first up, don't go anywhere near the rubbish bag (in the kitchen in this case). Else you may be spending 110minutes with a bucket of hot soapy water and pulling out the fridge, stove and everything off the floor in the pantry while you clean up white wriggly things. Each time you return from putting some in the toilet you'll find more. But don't worry, your wife and two kids will sleep through the whole thing. By the way, maggots can find their way out of a toilet bowl.

hmck, Jan 3, 10:18pm
No but if you trawl back a couple of years ago I posted about my phone falling in a paint bucket out of my pocket - and did I learn!No - I'm off to get a new phone today after painting the fence yesterday.I am starting to think that the fence paint people are in cahoots with the phone people to make my buy more stuff - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!It sounds better than admitting I'm an idiot who doesn't learn the hard way or any other way!

..pip.., Jan 3, 10:28pm
Check EXACTLY where you think the leak in the bathroom is BEFORE you smash the tiles around the built in bath (that you built in yourself onto a year before) thinking the leak is from the bath tap.Because you will find the leak is actually from the SHOWER on the otherside of the room.!

..pip.., Jan 3, 10:33pm
Don't decide to hammer down those loose floor boards in a house (in the UK) with central heating, without checking what is under the board.Also if you DO go through the central heating copper pipe with a nail DO NOT pull the nail out, otherwise you will have to sit their like the girl and dyke till your husband can go to the store to buy a new piece of pipe and a pipe cutter!

peanuts, Jan 4, 1:46am
When going to a someone elses bachfor the weekend which has been locked up for a while. Take a can of fly spray with you to spray all the tiny black biting fleas that jump out of the carpet as soon as you walk in the door and dump all your kids, bags and sleeping bags on the floor. Lovely way to start a holiday. A trip to the dairy and chemist required urgently. Scratch.scratch.

koru67, Jan 4, 5:23am
bumping for the New Year

pico42, Jan 4, 6:03am
When trying to figure out which solenoid has gone tits up in the control box for your 4WD winch, don't try to realign one of them with a screwdriver between the 2 big contacts whilst all the bolts are done up. The bakelite type material around the contact will shatter, leaving it stuffed.

And if you do decide to do this, don't do it at 6:00pmish 24th December because it is difficult to find any replacements before the end of the holiday season, putting a large hold on some of the planned 4WDing.

gypsyguy, Jan 4, 7:54am
Remember to take the chuck key out of the lathe chuck before turning it on. (Although the lathes at school could certainly fling 'em quite far. Missed teach, thankfully.)

nauru, Jan 4, 8:03am
You should have used the green paint tape, It comes off much easier than masking tape.

daninz., Jan 4, 10:38am
DO NOT buy a DIY house if your husband cannot put up a shelf. I have learned this the hard way. 5 years later one side of my house has been painted (just the primer) and apparnetly that will do for now!!!!

hutchk, Jan 5, 1:16am
Thought it would be interesting to hear of your 'learning experiences' with DIY over the years, and we may all pick up a few handy tips.

hutchk, Jan 5, 1:19am
Here's one from me. Whem masking around window frames for painting, do not leave the tape stuck to the glass for three weeks during summer before attempting to remove it. Took me a couple of days to prep and paint the windows, and a couple of weeks to remove the baked on tape. Oh how I laughed.