Line Trimmer

joaopnz, Oct 14, 5:42pm
I guys. I bought a JobMate Line Trimmer and I am absolute frustrated with it and in need of some help. I guess my first mistake was to buy cheap, however I dont have a huge area where it needs to be used and at the time I didnt think was worth spending too much money.

The line trimmer is meant to have a bump feed system. However every 20 seconds of running and cutting the Line is fed back inside the spool.
I went back to mitre10 and I was told I wasn't "bumping" enough and the cord was getting too short. So i start bumping more but the problem still there.
I have looked at many youtube videos but none says how ofter I have to bump. I was also advised I had to replace the original line to a better quality one which I did but still no luck.

Anyone here has a Jobmate Petrol Line Trimmer and have this issue, or now where I am going wrong?

Thank you

John

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/jobmate-line-trimmer-petrol-26cc-orange/p/290156

tweake, Oct 14, 6:03pm
what are you trimming?

its only got 2mm line so its not going to handle anything more than grass. even Kikuyu will be hard on it and you will go through a fair bit of line.

..pip.., Oct 14, 6:07pm
x1
Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your JobMate Line Trimmer. I can understand how frustrating it can be to spend money on a tool that doesn't work properly.

First off, it's good that you've already tried replacing the line with a better quality one. This is often a quick and easy fix for line trimmers that aren't working as they should. It's also good that you've been bumping the spool regularly, as this is usually how the line is fed out during use.

That being said, it sounds like the spool may not be functioning properly. If the line is constantly feeding back into the spool every 20 seconds, it could be a sign that there's a problem with the bump feed mechanism or the spool itself. It's possible that the spool is damaged or defective, which is causing it to feed too much line at once.

One thing you could try is to disassemble the spool and inspect it for any damage or defects. Make sure all the parts are properly aligned and functioning as they should. You may also want to try cleaning the spool and bump feed mechanism to remove any debris or dirt that could be causing the problem.

If you've tried all these steps and the issue still persists, it may be time to contact the manufacturer or take the trimmer to a professional for repair. It's possible that there's an issue with the trimmer itself that can only be fixed by a professional.

In the future, it's always a good idea to invest in a quality tool that's built to last, especially if you plan on using it regularly. While it may be tempting to save money by purchasing a cheaper tool, it often ends up costing more in the long run when you have to constantly replace or repair it.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your line trimmer and happy trimming.

yz490, Oct 14, 6:20pm
I might be talking rubbish but if the spool had been wound in reverse & enough was left sticking out to get started--would it the feed back in everytime you bumped it. I've got a couple of similar weedeaters Ryobi & something else & have rewound the double string enough times [an art to winding that] but not done it back to front so only guessing but knowing how it works-[so think that could be possible without having it in front of me.

gpg58, Oct 14, 6:21pm
like this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aJpXktMl-M Would depend on quality of ties though, some break easy. personally i changed mine to a plastic thing like this one, which i use fat square line in, due to the crap bump systems.
http://a.yu8.us/g_line-trimmer-head-2.jpg

This is it i think - https://www.bunnings.co.nz/little-juey-line-trimmer-accessory-bent-shaft-weed-cutting-head_p00245216

yz490, Oct 14, 6:23pm
If my idea i rubbish above & you're plain wearing it out, i went up a gauge in string on mine. You can tell it's swinging something heavier believe it or not but works well. I'll check out the gauge.

jmma, Oct 14, 6:27pm
You may have the spring in the wrong place, goes under the spool not under the bump knob :oP

yz490, Oct 14, 6:38pm
Ok, measures 2.5mm so will be harder to wind around as less flexible. I see in your link that your string is 2mm. --2.5 doesn't sound much bigger but puts up with a lot more abuse. Maybe buy a very small amount to try it first. Bit of an art to operating them & getting it at the right angle to do the job & you'll find muscles you didn't know you had, or RSI type thing holding the throttle part open unless you're just holding it flat stick. My favourite one [flavour of the day if it starts] i mostly wind up the idle speed to a very fast idle & does the job without having to feather the throttle but can still grab throttle for heavy stuff if necessary.

thisles5, Oct 14, 6:49pm
they are all crap.

bill1451, Oct 14, 6:51pm
throw your bump feed away and buy this, "littl' juey". there are different models depending on whether straight shaft or curved shaft, as curved are right hand thread, straight is left hand, Iv,e had my one for 10 years and just carry around a few precuts in my pocket, my bump feed sits on the shelf gathering dust.
littl' juey available M10 or you see the guy at the shows, field days etc.

pauldw, Oct 15, 6:00am
I bought a little juey and gave it away. As the clamp points for the line are so close I found that the tips of the cutting line got twisted together in extra long grass. All the contractors and council guys I see are still using bump heads. You don't always have to stick with the original head. At the moment I've got a Husqvarna head on my Echo. When that wears out I'll probably try a Speedfeed.

koru67, Oct 15, 7:27am
x1
I am only doing edges but I purchased a Gardena cordless when it was on special at Mitre 10. It has the little plastic blades and it is such a breeze to change the blade when required. Never again would I try a corded jobmate weed eater like the petrol one we used to have and struggled with the spool. I think from memory Consumer have just reviewed the cordless options.
Good luck OP, I hope you get it sorted as it can be very frustrating.

jan2242, Oct 15, 10:53am
koru67 I so agree with you. I bought a super cheap on off trademe that has plastic blades, and it cuts through lots more than grass. Love the thing.

tweake, Oct 15, 11:33am
there no point going to using a "little juey" or any fixed length of line if the line is breaking off so fast. they are only good if you using thick line on weak vegetation.
you either have to go up a size in line, which can cause issues with spool and engine power or get a more powerful strimmer thats more suited to the need.

i use an electric with 2mm line and you have to be careful on how you use it.

electromic, Oct 15, 1:37pm
If the line is breaking off at the mowing head it means the line is too brittle or too thin for what you are cutting. Old line goes brittle especially if stored in direct sunlight. I store my line in the dark in an ice cream container of water. I use 2mm twisted (commercial) line in my electric ryobi and it is fine. I would bump it every 15 metres when edging my corner section. My petrol stihl is 2.7mm square or twisted line and I bump it every 20 metres.

harrislucinda, Oct 15, 1:43pm
we have just brought a stihl fs45 until hubby got use to it line was breaking but now all good just don't hit anything

bill1451, Oct 15, 4:50pm
I have had my lil duey for about 10 years with no issues, and obviously if you get close to trees and concrete the line will break. square line outllasts anything else.I carry a couple of purpose made tools that hook in holes on lil duey for tightening and undoing.

gpg58, Mar 6, 12:09pm
same with mine, the thick orange square stuff i use lasts for ages, even when trimming against concrete edges, and only breaks if going at them too hard (using outer tip of line is fine, forcing middle of line in, is not).