Miniature cyclamen

colin433, Oct 28, 12:42pm
what do I do with these corms now they have stopped flowering. Non stop for over five months is pretty good, I'd like to keep them rather than purchase new ones next year

and, can I grow these from seed. have quite a few seedheads, I imagine the seed will be very fine. How do I harvest them. Do I need to put a bag over the seedhead to catch the seeds if they 'explode' like some seedheads do
TIA
Mrs C

samanya, Oct 28, 1:41pm
I throw mine, pot & all outside under a tree & bring them inside once I see them sending out new leaves.
I've never saved seeds from them, but I imagine that the seed head would get very much larger . I'd open one & see if the seeds looked ripe, probably dark & dry them well before planting.
Hopefully some one who isn't guessing, like me, will come in here & tell you the correct way to go about it.
Good luck.

colin433, Oct 28, 3:13pm
thankyou for the most important advice. If I don't get seeds to germinate it wont matter, but I bought a lot of potted plants this year, and would like to save myself some money (for once) if I can take them through to next season,.
I even have a tree that I can throw them under

blans, Oct 28, 8:18pm
Plant them in a shady garden spot. The seeds grow guite freely in the garden and in a cple of years you will have an area of them.Its not a fine seed so easy enough to handle.

colin433, Oct 29, 12:32pm
thank you blans. I imaagined the seed would be tiny, like hundreds of them in that little casing, obviously I'm wrong

blans, Oct 29, 5:15pm

sla11, Feb 23, 9:12am
I plant Minature Cyclamen outside after first flowering, with a bit of protection from a shrub/tree. Don't do anything for them other than odd dose of Seasol to give them a feed - they happily multiply.