Blackberry

annies3, Mar 19, 7:36pm
I would also like to know but we would have to be very careful not to hurt natives, at the moment we cut it off and pull the roots out but that is painfully slow.

maclad, Mar 19, 7:41pm
roundup works with regular persistent treatment, but I would add a penetrant to the mix, Tordon also works. You just need to take a bit more care where you spray it. Pulling it is good as long as the plants are not too big or numerous.

freebutterflies, Mar 21, 11:56pm
Blackberry has taken over one part of our roadside but its growing through the trees. We have had sickness and a death in the family so its gotten away on us. It feels overwhelming. The plants are too big to pull out, except maybe with the tractor. and hope we dont pull the trees out too. They are windbreaks :(

androth2, Mar 22, 7:27pm
I have used roundup or similar but it takes repeated spraying to get all the leaves as its quite slow working

tweake, Mar 22, 8:18pm
triclopyr work great. also can be found as Hydrocotyle spay.

roundup works okish but DO NOT use penetrate to it.
the problem is that roundup will kill the leaves and most of the stem off before it has traveled all the way down to the roots (its to fast). the lack of penetrant slows it down a bit and with a bit of luck it will get to the roots. if you do not kill the roots it simply regrows.

mack77, Mar 28, 9:39pm
I believe that the cheapest herbicide to kill blackberry is metsulfron methyl also known as MSF600. I use it and find it to be very effective, but it may also kill your shelterbelt trees.

ianab, Mar 28, 10:10pm
Roundup (or generic) will work if you hit it when it's sprouting out new in the spring, but you will need to do some follow up the next couple of years.

Remember that birds spread the seeds and they will still be in the soil. So some might come back. Just hit them with a spot spray as they appear.

lakeview3, Dec 2, 5:55pm
try woody weed killer, gets right down into roots.