Retaining Wall

ckbrown, Dec 11, 3:43am
Hi there
We find ourselves in the position that a retaining wall between ourselves the neighbours is subsiding extensively and cannot be saved from here.
The wall is of concrete construction and is possibly around the 100 year old mark (it has no steel and is basically sitting on the ground with no footing)
This wall is retaining the neighbouring property (roughly 1mtr high) and not ours and was in place before our home was built.
In addition to this the neighbours home has a number of storm water issues (missing spouting etc ) that has definitely added to this problem, we asked them to address before the wall gave way as water was visible ??

supernova2, Dec 11, 3:50am
Which side of the boundary is the wall!Is a retaining wall a fence!Without research I have no idea.

ksam, Dec 11, 5:23am
If the wall is on your side, the cost is all yours, the wall was possibly put in so your house could be built, rather than theirs.

mm12345, Dec 11, 6:19am
My experience is that retaining walls tend to be within the boundary of the "downhill" property.Practically, they need to be because the "uphill" property doesn't have access to the wall.This is bad news for the OP, who might also need to "make good" damage to the neighbours property if the wall collapses.
Good news is that if the wall is only 1m, replacement probably wont need council consent, which will save a lot.When replacing the wall, consider drainage as part of the design.The "uphill" neighbour's guttering may be stuffed, but the total amount of rainwater falling on that section is no different than it would be if the house wasn't there.

blinker69, Dec 11, 7:28am
Same scenario with my dad's place.Only his property was on the hill and the wall was breaking in places,had no reinforcement.So we made another wall one meter away the existing wall just to hold everything as the garage was sagging away and seemed like it would be pulled down if the existing wall gave way.

redpenn, Dec 13, 10:06am
TOTALLY agree about drainage. Many retaining walls deteriorate over time due to pressure from contained water in the soil on the "up side".