Plastering foundation wall and cement for patching

cat-nine, May 9, 9:47pm
What is the best product to use to plaster over a foundation wall? I would like to end up with a relatively smooth surface as opposed to what I have now (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mumt529thcn32u/Foundation%20Wall.jpg?dl=0).

Also, what type of cement can I use to patch an old vent hole? It is about 125mm in diameter and around 150mm deep.

Thanks.

blueviking, May 9, 10:36pm
A good plasterer(as in a plasterer by trade not a stopper or applicator) Is this an internal wall or external?
This is not the sort of job to do yourself. But if you want to try, i'll tell you what you need to do.
Either wash the wall with concrete cleaner or waterblast to get any mildew/mould off.
Mix 1 1/2 parts sand with 1 part cement and add cemkey concentrate(about 100ml in a bucketful of mix) to a consistency of thick paint and flick it onto your wall(with your trowel) to provide a key coat.
Mix 3 sand to 1 cement, add 2 capfuls of cemplus(for workability) and the correct amount of cemix waterproofing admixture(as per specifications 1ltr per bag of cement) Trowel this on your wall between 5 & 10mm thick. rule it to get it flat, fill the hollows and then float it to a smooth finish and then sponge it, or trowel it to whichever finish you require.

blueviking, May 9, 10:38pm
Sorry, forgot to add, you can use the last mix to patch round your vent

tintop, May 9, 10:42pm
Is there a dry mix available in bags for small jobs ?

budgel, May 9, 11:21pm
All builders merchants sell premixed bags of mortar.

cat-nine, May 9, 11:22pm
Thanks for the info and advice, blueviking. I would like to dry and do it myself if I can. I am not too worried about getting the surface totally smooth/perfect, as it is in the garage and I only want to improve the appearance slightly. The walls are external.

cat-nine, May 9, 11:29pm
I have had a look around and am confused because there are so many different mixes I am not sure what will be suitable. For example, one of the mortar products says it can be used for brick jointing, paving and minor plaster repairs. I don't know whether that means I can use it to plaster over a wall or for repairs of the size/depth mentioned.

zak410, May 10, 12:59am
mortar plaster is what you want, to cover the vent-hole you may need few applications and can add stones or pieces of broken bricks to the mix for it.

.firth.co.nz/product-informati-
on/dricon/dricon-product-range-
.aspx

http://tinyurl.com/o7ftck3

cagivachick1, May 10, 1:07am
there is a reason plastering was a 8000hr apprentiship

cat-nine, Jan 13, 7:09pm
Thanks zak410. :)