Smell in particle board

kellog47, Feb 1, 5:18am
I had a whole watermelon sitting in a bag on the carpet but unknown to me, it was rotten inside and overnight leaked rotten juice everywhere. We have done everything to try and get the smell out of the carpet but it hasn't worked so today my carpet layer hubby lifted the carpet with the intention to remove the patch of carpet and underlay and replace. Unfortunately the juice has gone right through to the particle board floor and it stinks. Any ideas on anything we can do or do I ring the insurance company in the morning and hope they will replace the floor?

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 1, 6:52am
Insurance job definitely. Once dampened the board is no longer safe anyway and should be cut out and replaced.

newtec1, Feb 1, 8:45am
Not so hunni. Particle board is guaranteed for 90 days out in the weather on building site before covering. I have worked on sites where there has been a complete covering of water for days,and when it dried it was as good as new. It may not have the same protection if it had an exposed cut edge,but without damage it is quite safe.

newtec1, Feb 1, 8:46am
Try vanila.

sailor13, Feb 1, 9:47am
once the floor is dry paint it with resin it gets rid of cat pee smell.

sophie98, Jul 29, 9:24am
I would try white vinager and baking soda gets rid of dog pee smell.