Corrugated iron profiles

beachboy61, May 11, 7:58am
I'm adding a 1 metre height to an existing corrugated fence that I guess is about 10-15 years old.
I want to match the corrugations, but I have a feeling that there was a change in the profile of corrugated iron sometime ago?

krames, May 11, 8:10am
measure it and compare with todays product.

80mm from low point to low point and 150mm over 3 (from memory)

golfdiver, May 11, 8:58am
Should have no problem matching it if it is that recent. You can "work " it in to fit anyway but I'd be dead sure it will be fine.

golfdiver, May 11, 8:59am
.762 mm overall cover per sheet

rak1, May 11, 8:06pm
We had an issue with corrugated iron not matching the existing iron on a garage once. I rang the company that makes the product and spoke to one of their technical people. He explained that the measurement from point to point has never changed over the years but that the reason that it appears to have, is caused by the batches of iron that come to them from the mill. Apparently slight changes in the irons tensile strength affect its "springiness" as it goes through the formers rollers and you get a slight variation in measurements. He recommended that only full lengths be used i.e only use long run iiron.

golfdiver, May 12, 1:54am
The profile has certainly changed over the years. The troughs and crests are not as pronounced as they used to be. But you can still make most of them work. They can mould in pretty well.

kingsteve1, May 12, 9:32am
Depends on which company runs the iron, there is no industry standard that im aware of so depends on the rollers in the machine. most are close but not identical. also the real old stuff (unders and overs sheets) is a lot narrower.

beachboy61, Jan 11, 2:48am
I've since found that my corrugated iron is quite old, as I got a sample of new iron which has wider corrugations that don't line up by the end of a sheet width.
I'll have to look in demolition yards to try and find some old corrugated iron.