Can I use Aluminium Rivets into Corrugated iron

beachboy61, May 26, 1:49am
I'm making a 9 metre long fence from 25mm diameter galvanised water pipe and want to fix 2 metre high corrugated iron sheets with aluminium rivets.
Is there any problem using the dissimilar aluminium rivets into iron?

nzdoug, May 26, 1:56am
Wouldnt think so.
No rust.

flancrest, May 26, 2:32am
Don't use aluminium. You risk having your rivets corrode. Best to use ferrous with ferrous whenever possible.

cjdnzl, May 26, 2:36am
Yep, when wet the ally will react with the galvanising on the iron, and will corrode the aluminium. Then the iron sheets will fall off, or blow off and injure somebody. My choice would be monel metal or stainless steel, but they are hard rivets to set unless you have a lazy tongs riveter.

maddie44, May 26, 4:05am
Are your corrugated sheets galv or zincalume?

12 x20 tek screws would be stronger than rivets

cjdnzl, May 26, 7:17am
He is using pipe for nthe framework. Do tek screws screw into pipe?

kenw1, May 26, 7:20am
Pilot hole, then the metal drilling tek screws.

maddie44, May 26, 7:26am
Using steelteks you don't need the pilot hole.

golfdiver, May 26, 7:36pm
I would use steel teks as well. If the pipe is thick, use superdrive screws

beachboy61, May 26, 8:09pm
What are superdrive screws? and if I use them or steel tek screws can I use a normal drill to install them or do you need a special drill to install tek screws?

golfdiver, May 26, 8:21pm
A decent powered battery drill will do it. Avoid a cheapie. Superdrive are tek screws that will go through thicker materials. Get them from Steel and tube roofing. You will need a 3/8ths hex head on your drill

kenw1, May 26, 9:17pm
The reason I suggested a pilot hole is to avoid the tek screw wandering whilst it gets seated, especially on a smallish diameter tube.

golfdiver, May 27, 9:35am
You don't need pilot holes with zip screws, they bite and go straight in.

beachboy61, May 27, 9:42pm
Will a tek screw go through the water pipe which I think is 3 to 4 mm thick?

golfdiver, Dec 30, 10:56am
yep, but to be sure use the superdrive version. It's a bit more expensive but works as well as a drill bit.