What exactly is a "Master Painter".

hezwez, Sep 16, 9:28am
. and what is the main advantage in seeking one for a relatively simple job that a younger capable person could do? I'm talking fascia painting. Hope I have the right word, the board that spouting is attached to. Are master painters better qualified, and/or financed by the brand of paint used? I've been on the website and it mentions guarantees then I saw the sentence "what if I don't use Dulux?" The whole thing has me mystified. Are there any recommendations in New Plymouth for a do it yourself type tradie who could paint, repair/replace soffits, that sort of thing?

happychappy50, Sep 16, 9:56am
Have seen this with electricians as well,the prefix of master added.

Could be because they gave had so many yrs of plying their trade & know all the tricks of the trade . Who knows?

Sounds as tho what you need is a handy type bloke who is confident & most of all able to complete your job at a reasonable price.

Maybe try builderscrack a great place to get a tradie & you can read various reports on them . All helps

Good luck

russ18, Sep 16, 10:01am
Means they are a paying member of master painters?
http://www.masterpainters.co.nz/

golfdiver, Sep 16, 10:09am
Master Painters , like most trade associations began as a club for those in the industry looking to have some trust in their group. Most of these groups evolve and fracture and you end up with groups such as master builders and certified builders in the same industry. There are very average painters who are trade qualified and there are great tradesmen with nothing but a stream of satisfied customers to their name. Ask ask ask people and go and look at work that is 5-8 years old

don735, Sep 16, 11:24am
anyone can call them self a master painter I am a registered master painter to call your self that you need to belong to the nz painting contractors association I have trade papers which are a waste of time. why, anyone can call them self a painter start up a company untill the trade has some form of regulation the standard of workmanship is going to remain at brush hand level ask the people of christchurch

hezwez, Sep 16, 6:57pm
Thanks all, appreciate the input.

lythande1, Sep 16, 7:19pm
Generally it is an indication of experience. Apprentice, journeyman, master.
Well, it should be anyway.

ebygum1, Sep 16, 8:41pm
Originally a tradesman with " Master " before his name was an apprenticed trained person that employed and trained apprentices. As opposed to a journyman tradesman with no formal training.

arielbooks, Sep 28, 6:51pm
They also sat city and guilds. As part of their trade they learned wallpapering, glazing including leadlights and roofing. All which helped make the building waterproof. That is why they were called painter and decorators. Older experienced master painters (and decorators) aged 50 plus have these qualifications.

The thing is they know what they are doing, using the correct preparation methods and their work can last 10 years longer so worth the extra dollar unless your in Auckland and just want a quick tart up to sell. :)