Cost effective grass grub control

john.s, Jan 31, 9:36am
I have about 1 acre of paddock grass lawn im slowly getting tamed. I have re-seeded and turf fix sprayed and now trying to deal with grass grub. The "off the shelf" products are very expensive, and only cover smaller areas.
Rain ecpected here for sunday, so hopeing for a solution which can be washed in!

john.s, Jan 31, 10:17am
Sorry, I have read earlier threads on this, but want to know more on the "laundry power" recepie. It says to boil the solution. Can I just sprinkle the powder on the lawn when its raining!

punkinthefirst, Jan 31, 10:24am
Tried making starling nest-boxes! In the spring, when they're feeding their young, they are pretty good at keeping grass grub down to a manageable level. You'll need a good few for an acre.

marywea, Jan 31, 12:09pm
I tried the soap pwd method years ago. Sprinkled masses on lawn then hosed it.Can't recall a great result but I had a great sudsey and clean lawn. I don't get a lot now, so maybe it worked and not expensive to give it a try before the rain.Hope you can get those big bag/s of pwd. and I hope the promised rain comes.

net_oz, Jan 31, 4:27pm
Just remember that what kills grass grub will harm other beneficial insects as well/

malone4, Jan 31, 11:48pm
free range chickens.

john.s, Feb 1, 1:27am
im thinking of them for the paddocks, but dont want them to mess up my hopefully future lovely lawns :)

hort1, Feb 1, 6:21am
A very heavy roller will do the trick.

malone4, Feb 23, 2:44am
yes absolutely.
It can be hard to have the best of both worlds but is possible.
if you do use hens its best to put the sprinkler on the paddock first so the grub surface. And a portable cage is a good idea too. They can concentrate on a section at a time.