Reducing sound between party wall.

qingan, Oct 5, 10:16pm
I live in a townhouse and am getting a bit of noise through the party wall. Whats the best remedy? Another layer of gib? or is there another product out there?

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 5, 11:39pm
Ask the neighbours nicely to tone it down?

gabbysnana, Oct 5, 11:49pm
hopeless these properties, once they had solid block or concrete fire walls but not today. All you can do is move. These properties are the worse design ever.

gregmran, Oct 5, 11:54pm
And so proclaims the self-appointed expert.

hammer23, Oct 6, 2:39am
Well I will back gabby up. I built a flat 3 years ago for family with a timber framed wall between units. I followed what the "book" said about soundproofing walls and ceilings and the end result was less than satisfactory. The only way is a concrete filled block wall between the units carried up to roof line, and even then you will get sound coming through. Stand alone buildings are best.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 6, 2:51am
My double brick firewall between me'n my octogenarian neighbour still lets me hear if he needs me and knocks on the wall. Handy, in his situation. Place was built back in the forties, so it's pretty solid brick and tile. Unless you are really keen on adding layers I think it's a problem only really thick concrete'll fix.

Ear plugs are cheaper.

gabbysnana, Oct 6, 5:34am
one thing i am an expert in haha

newtec1, Oct 6, 6:01am
I have built a soundproof radio studio absolutely 100% ,i could explain to you how to soundproof it completely 100% but it would mean stripping the existing gib to start again.In your case another lining of sound gib on rondo rails with a 20 mm cavity and 20mm polestyrene or 20 mm boat engine sound control [don't know the name] would be the most simple solution without going extreme. You would reduce the room by approx 30mm,and reduce the sound to an acceptable level.And my consultation fee is .

newtec1, Oct 6, 6:23am
Or tell Jacinta to keep the noise down.

donnabeth, Oct 12, 8:41pm
We bought our house believing the bedroom was completely soundproof, as it backed on to the TV wall of the lounge. If that's soundproofing, they wasted their money. If we go to bed early,we hear every sound, and in the lounge, they can even hear someone snore or break wind.

Neighbour sound that I find even more intrusive, is the hum and drum of heatpump motors. Lots of people must keep heatpumps running all night long, and I can't get that droning noise out of my head. The next door neighbours put a new one in this winter, onto a wooden deck that faces the back wall of our bedroom. I swear i can feel the noise, yet outside, it can be silent, or just a quiet 'whoosh' sound.

newtec1, Oct 13, 9:23am
To stop vibration or hum they need a separation from the mounting.A good solid rubber mounting or something similar Engine mounts off boat engines will do the trick.You can also reduce most of the noise through walls with the correct sound insulation and double line the wall on rondo rails.As i said in the other post it would only reduce the size of the room by aprox30 mm.You could eliminate the noise completely if you wanted,but that would be far more involved with triple lining etc.

nzjay, Oct 13, 9:35am
A consent will be needed for any alteration to the party wall to ensure the fire rating is compliant.

mkbooks, Aug 29, 10:41pm
Really useful contribution to the problem