First the waste disposal not working

lilyfield, Mar 24, 5:22pm
now the dishwasher F8 fault (power),
also not working at all. how much will electrician charge to look what is wrong ? . Both gadgets I do not really need in my life so am reluctant to spend big money.

lovelurking, Mar 24, 8:36pm
Have you googled them?
If I remember correctly there is a wee button on the waste disposal unit that you push in and the dishwasher specs will tell you what that alert means.

(I don’t need a waste disposal but can’t do without the dishwasher!)

lilyfield, Mar 24, 8:48pm
the waste disposer reset button is stuck in., so cannot reset it.
there is power in the hotpoint( I tested by plugging a lamp in)

the dishwasher said error F8= no power coming through at all, not on hot point either by trying said lamp. Maybe it does not like me as I only used the washer 3 times in 5 years in this house .

I am not game enough to use a meter on the electrics, no nothing about it.
miss my able husband, he could fix anything.

socram, Mar 24, 9:41pm
Must be the week for it. My wife switched on the washing machine and there was a bang. Dryer (same double socket) also packed up same time!

Checked out the socket - even to the extent of removing it and replacing it and neither machine would work. Google suggested control board faults (both Fisher & Paykel) and at $200 each for new boards plus fitting etc. Not worth it on 2002/2003 machines.

I was advised by HN to use a surge protector on each, but if I plug those in, ($32 each), can't fully lift the lid of the washing machine, or I need to plug them into a power bar with surge protector, which I'm reluctant to do in a potentially damp area. May have to fit a new power point with built in surge protection.

That follows on from a waste disposal that was leaking from a cracked casing and a microwave that died.

snoopy221, Mar 24, 9:52pm
mm how old is the house and wring?/
as in rcd's or fuses?
power at the hot point may not necessarily mean a rcd on the dishwasher/waste disposal hasn't tripped.

lythande1, Mar 25, 8:45am
You need an appliance person, not an electrician.
Waste disposal? Not worth it.

lilyfield, Mar 25, 8:47am
I say dishwasher not worth it

paora-tm, Mar 25, 6:29pm
Happy to say our waste disposal unit broke and didn't need replacing - all waste ends up in the garden or compost.

paora-tm, Mar 25, 6:31pm
Me too. Ours rarely gets used - good for washing heaps of glasses but most other stuff I actually prefer to hand wash.

xs1100, Mar 25, 8:31pm
waste disposal could just be blocked/jammed

tmenz, Dec 4, 11:11am
Have you tried powering either or both of the units from a completely different outlet via an extension cord?