Waste Disposal units .

pogram0, Jan 1, 7:28pm
I have just replaced my kitchen and decided not to purchase another Insinkerator. The people who owned the place before me (Asians) obviously did not know what they were used for and chucked everything down it. It would be better if someone would design a product that was installed somewhere outside rather than in the kitchen sink.

jrlaw, Jan 1, 8:32pm
Often thought of catching all of the stuff after its been through Grinder(?) and then putting it into the garden or compost pile.

jill117, Jan 2, 2:20am
Heh, I just looked at the price of them!

Compost bin, worm bin, black soldier fly bin, bokashi bin, . All far cheaper and will go forever, plus produce something valuable.

socram, Jan 3, 6:01am
I think you will find that most kitchen waste goes into the sewerage anyway. Only the rainwater goes untreated. Happy to be corrected.

I also heard that they are happy enough to have the plant waste go through the system as it is organic. Not everyone has a garden for compost.

deboron, Jan 3, 9:46pm
Mine is plumbed into my sink which is grey water, this adds extra nutrients to our waterways just like farm run off does. Disposal of organic wastes is such a problem in Auckland they are introducing an organic waste collection soon just like our blue recycle bins.

gazzat22, Dec 26, 9:13pm
Any one fitted or replaced one .Ours is an Insinkerator and seems to be a boy doing a mans job,frequently blocking.Any advice on brand ,motor size etc.

carter19, Dec 27, 3:53am
Biggest problem is people putting the wrong things down them without running the water for long enough.

hammer23, Dec 27, 9:20am
Are you sure it is not the waste pipes that are half blocked with gunk and tea bags,give it a burst of drain'o. Incinerator is meant to be better than others but my budget one from M10 just goes and grinds with no problems.

lythande1, Dec 27, 7:19pm
Don??

gazzat22, Dec 27, 11:59pm
Thanks,it just seems to get blocked from time to time,a combination of probably too many peelings and poor water pressure plus its thecheapest model as new sink wasnt supposed to have one but kitchen supplier got it wrong and had to supply free but wife decided to pay half! It,s an Insinkerator E20 which is the basic model but trying to convince her that a combination of too much in it and poor water pressure is the problem would mean she had done sometthing wrong so will have to go out to the money tree and pull a branch off and buy a bigger one THanks All.

rich1969, Dec 28, 12:15am
Not much use having one with all those don'ts

amasser, Dec 28, 5:54am
Agreed - replaced mine with a compost bin. Ignore that silly tv ad - they are not 'environmentally responsible'.

choosy7, Dec 28, 5:57am
Is the insinkerator blocking or is it a poor plumbing job that is causing the blockages?

tramore, Dec 28, 6:20am
Often thready vegetables may make it block with stringy bits. e.g cabbage leaves pr stalks, beans. If you are doing bulk stuff, consider placing it in the garden as composting or put in rubbish like we do for those sorts of things.

samanya, Dec 28, 6:52am
Agree.
My insinkerator was forever blocking up, so I got rid of it. Why the hell would you want to flush all those goodies down the drain, when you could put those organic scraps in a bucket, chuck them in a bin & 6 months later return them to the earth, as compost?

aredwood, Dec 28, 7:42am
The blades in those E20 wastemasters are not stainless steel. This means they rust which causes them to not chop the scraps as finely anymore. Bigger chunks = more blockages.

And after grinding stuff you need to leave the tap running for 10 sec to make sure all the stuff goes all the way down your sink drain. Otherwise it will block next time you use the sink.

aktow, Dec 28, 10:54am
who cares, i put everything down mine,

paora-tm, Dec 29, 5:22am
Ours broke down - something in it which shouldn't have been. No lost as I find it just as easy to compost everything that used to go down it. :)

linda61, Dec 29, 7:32am
Go with composting, saves a lot of hassle and much better for the garden too! We have one and only use it to get rid of the odd flying bug.

gazzat22, Dec 31, 3:50am
THanks i had sort of come to the same conclusion myself.If it blocks again and if her indoors decides she wants to replace it well she also must be obeyed.presumably the next 1 or two models up would be OK,there doesnt seem to be much difference in motor power so guess as you say its all in the blades Thanks all for your input and advice.Cheers Just a quick question seeing as you seem to know what you,re talking about,Are Insinkerator the best brand to buy or are Robinhood as good Thanks.

xs1100, Dec 31, 9:15am
put some ice cubes down it as they are ment to sharpen the blades

arielbooks, Dec 31, 8:10pm
This. Don't put rubbish into waste water often this is ejected straight into our waterways, unlike sewerage which is treated. Feed you soil with the compost it makes.

loukirby, Dec 31, 8:24pm
We have one which we don't use but did have installed but won't be putting one in the new house.

nzjay, Mar 31, 1:59pm
Ummm, they don't. but they are excellent for scouring out all the fibrous remnants. A tray of ice cubes once a fortnight, or more often if you are putting fibrous matter down the hole. Cleans it right out safely.