An electrician for a day

sally63, Mar 26, 7:53pm
Does anyone have any idea of the hourly rate for an electrician in New Plymouth? We are changing many of the light fittings in the house and I am guessing it will be a full day's work.

socram, Mar 26, 8:59pm
If it works out at any less than $65 an hour for any self employed tradesman, I'd say you would be doing OK. Changing light fittings though? I might get shot for this, but most competent handymen should be able to cope.

mm12345, Mar 26, 9:21pm
It might be much more than a full day's work for a sparky too, as unless the house is quite new, he may need to run an earth to all lights, and if the house is quite old, might require a full rewire of the lighting circuits.
So it might be a good idea to instead of focusing your attention on what the hourly rate is, get a recommendation for a good sparky, and get him/her around - even if it means paying an initial callout fee, to find out what's going to be needed and to get some estimate of expected cost.

mrfxit, Mar 26, 10:23pm
A;so depends on the brand/type of replacement units.
Some will be an easy direct replacement (same terminals) some have a lot of extra terminals to confuse you.
Then theres the type of unit base/ are the old /new units different as in, steel/brass or plastic.
Agree that an initial inspection could be of great help

sally63, Mar 27, 12:14am
Yes, makes sense. Thanks for the comments. The house is 11 years old

aloha3, Mar 27, 2:48am
can you ring and ask a few electricians for a quote for say 7 hours and get them back if they need more time.

russ18, Mar 27, 3:52am
That's only ok if the handyman is both the owner and occupier of the house otherwise it's illegal.

sally63, Mar 27, 4:12am
And my DH is definitely NOT a handyman!

t_naki, Mar 27, 6:28am
You will be fine as with the age of the house all the lighting points should have an earth so as long as it is not moving points or anything it will be quite straight forward. I can recommend Rimu Electrical, the guys are pretty good and the boss is easy to deal with and they have enough guys so that you aren't left waiting forever for a small job. I should say that I am a bit biased as I used to work there.

sally63, Mar 27, 7:46am

rotormotor7, Mar 27, 9:50am
I'd offer my services (reg sparky) as a perky job this weekend but return drive to NP not appeal ;)

wheelz, Mar 27, 11:22pm
Looks like this one is asking to be put up overnight! All good, take his accomodation off his fee!

t_naki, Mar 28, 3:05am
Oh come on, be adventurous its great here.

Just don't tell anyone we like to keep it a secret.

5425, Mar 28, 3:27am

rotormotor7, Feb 21, 11:04am
Agreed, I have had a mini holiday there, stayed at the campground near the port in a tent. nothing like being woken up at 6am by a train running couple metres from your head LOL