Have you used black mulch/bark?

nellz1, Apr 21, 5:54am
Would you use it again? and did it stay looking good/dark on your garden.

Thanks

pico42, Apr 21, 8:02am
I have, to good effect. Weeds are minimal even after 5 years.

koru67, Apr 21, 9:21am
I used it once on a small area. I didn't like the fact it stained my hands black, and was concerned about the cat walking on it and transferring the black inside to the light coloured carpet.

hilt_dwane, Apr 21, 10:25am
The other thing to remember is that white tail spiders and cockroaches just LOVE bark

maclad, Apr 21, 5:51pm
do not be put off by this, I work with extensive areas of barked gardens and have never found a cockroach or a white tail in the bark. Cockroaches are found more in the plants such as flax, astelia and many others, as for white tails, well I guess it's possible but in 20 years I've not found one.

lythande1, Apr 21, 6:32pm
Cockroaches - that is the native ones - do like bark.
So?
They are not the kitchen filth type and rarely venture in, if they do, they don't infest, they bumble about until they find their way back out or you put them out.

ebygum1, Apr 21, 8:52pm
They are not native to N.Z. They are Australian,commonly called Gisbourne cockcroaches as it appears they first landed there.

rusty-bones, Apr 21, 10:07pm
I have the brown it does fade. Its been a good help though no weeds, but the birds make a mess. I did'nt know you could buy black, I have never seen this. I think I might top up with black next time, would be nice. I will look out for this, thanks.

intheoneone, Apr 30, 5:22am
I have used the black bark in the past. Very messy stuff to work with, it will stain gloves, concrete surrounds etc but once laid it looked better than the brown or red bark. Use a good quality weed mat and apply the bark to a good thickness to minimise the weeds. If possible get the chunky bark, as the smaller smaller stuff can blow away in the wind and create a mess. Good luck.

twain1, Apr 30, 7:41pm
I do wonder what it is stained with, if its toxic and if it does damage to the polants and the soil
Having said that, I think it looks great in some instances, but I would want to know what is in the dye

rita197, May 1, 5:40am
Yes . use 100mm thick on the garden. It reduces weeding by about 90%. It also keeps the garden moist during summer, Add another layer of mulch every year.

For perennial gardens use a finer mulch like Rose Mulch or pea-straw

andrac63, Jan 20, 11:54am
I'm sure I read somewhere it was Coal or a derivative of.