Oxalis

Page 1 / 2
jimmy2102, Oct 5, 7:41pm
x1
its blinkin eveywhere in my garden whats the best way to get rid of it please

venna2, Oct 5, 7:42pm
I'd like to know too. It's coming through the mesh fence dividing my garden from the neighbours'.

steptoesnr, Oct 5, 8:46pm
Spray with glyphosate. Do not pull leaves off until totally dessicated.

harrislucinda, Oct 5, 10:42pm
thehardestweedcomebulbstogetridofevenduggingthenout

smoocher, Oct 5, 11:25pm
I had a patch that came in with plants (grrr)
I used Vigilant gel straight on the leaves and the oxalis hasn't resprouted for two years now.
After 2 years of no growth what so ever, I think its gone for good.

harrislucinda, Oct 6, 12:57am
wheredoyouget thatgel fromsmoocher!thanks

smoocher, Oct 6, 1:13am
I just got it at the garden centre. Mind you it was a few years back as the stuff seems to last forever.

georgie36, Oct 6, 8:13am
I have the damm weed all in between minature roses, will they be ok if I just do the weed!

tattoojules, Oct 6, 10:30am
There is a weed killer in Mitre 10 called Death to Oxalis .or something like that.It is a power that you mix with water and just water onto the plant and it really works.

deathrockboy, Oct 6, 11:07am
Death to Oxalis is mainly baking soda with a fancy label on it.
It kills the leaves off but the bulbs will re-sprout.

fleur59, Oct 6, 6:20pm
Don't use Vigilent near roses, it will travel through the soil and kill the roses.

Hydrocotyl(sp) weed killer is better, but you will need to apply to regrowth to starve the bulbs

kenrick69, Oct 7, 7:19am
I had empty gardens for 2 yrs and just dug and dugthe bulbs- worked, any that come up after that - dig them out to

spiritofgonzo, Oct 7, 6:12pm
just roundup, or glyphosate with a brush an persistence.Keep wiping them as they come up.

tjmc, Oct 7, 7:00pm
Oh Heck - Please don't use any Glyophosphate.It is not only toxic to the soil, but also to you and yours.Children in particlar can be horribly affected by this poison, and also expectant mothers.

If you have access to someones chickens, they go totally bonkers for oxalis, and will dig up the bulbs to eat too - then also will fertalise your garden as they work their way around.They also love any slugs, snails, spiders or any insect they can get their beaks around.For all that hard work they may lay an egg or two too.

Please please - look up the dangers of Roundup and any Glyophosphate containing 'weedkillers'

Horrible stuff!

liggy2, Oct 7, 7:53pm
Suggest a pea straw mulch and wait till the bulbs grow up into it then roll it up and dump it. Otherwise the only way to get rid would be to wait till its growing well and spray with glyphosate ( roundup, Watkins weedkiller), and others are glyphosate based so shop around as Roundup is basically the same as Watkins but double the price.

lilyfield, Oct 7, 8:00pm
3 years of digging them up works well. Very therapeutic if you need time out.

mokaumoi, Oct 7, 8:02pm
I am a no spray gardener too, and moved here to an oxalis infested garden. A patch at a time I pulled it- some of it the bulbs stayed behind.As soon as the leaves were above ground and opened, I pulled them again, and again, and again.Eventually the remaining bulbs did not have enough strength to produce leaves. I now have an oxalis free garden

imagine4, Oct 7, 8:43pm
i got the yellow flowered one coming up everywhere. my elderley neighbour thought it was alovely flower. and has it growing along our boundary.GRRRRRRRR. even round the other side of the house.I think birds must carry the bulbs.Its easy to pull out BUT when you do you divide the bulbs and even more comes up.

mrfxit, Oct 7, 9:08pm
ANY. weedkillers can be bad IF. used the wrong way
^%$#@ paranoid fool.
Roundup = Glyophosphate deactivates & biodegrades on contact with soil

mm12345, Oct 7, 9:10pm
Yes.But it doesn't generally harm other plants.The trick is to keep some mixed up and handy (in a cheap garden sprayer) and once the oxalis has re-sprouted, zap it again.After a few times, the oxalis bulbs run out of stored food, and that's the end of them.
If you need a "one-off" treatment, then it won't work, but there aren't herbicides available that are specific to oxalis - they will kill adjacent plants if you're not very careful.
I'm pretty sure it's not just "mainly" baking soda, but 100% baking soda.

earthangel4, Oct 7, 10:10pm
The only way I got rid of it,was to just keep digging,had to dig out all the bulbs,as soon as I saw them coming up.
It is alot of hard work,but got rid off them in the end.

spiritofgonzo, Oct 8, 4:39am
Although I somewhat agree with you, so is janola, so is some shampoos, so is salt, so is oven cleaner, so are wet and forget cleaners, so is paint, so is nail polish . etc etc. Why pick on glyphosate with such vehemence!

speeedy1, Oct 8, 10:11am
It is wonderful in salads, meals or sandwiches. The leaves, flowers or stems are all good; use caution if you have dogs or cats :-). I prefer digging it out in clumps with a spade ( best results are when the soil is dry) and carefully extracting the stem and bulb/s, very therapeutic AND totally safe.

dms01, Oct 8, 7:13pm
don't overdo eating the oxalis. The oxalic acid in it that gives it that nice tangy taste, binds to calcium as calcium oxalate and this is excreted. So eating too much oxalis, or other plants containing oxalic acid such as sorrel and spinach, will impair the body's ability to absorb and utilise dietary calcium. For this reason it's best to NOT allow the chooks to feast on it either, since laying chooks need plenty of calcium to produce egg shells. For humans it is better to use it in small amounts like a herb or garnish

dms01, Oct 8, 7:14pm
ps if you keep it up with baking soda, eventually you'll kill it. It works best on a sunny day, and you have to repeat treat it until the bulbs are exhausted