Internal guttering leaks

Page 2 / 2
nzshooter01, Jan 21, 5:14pm
That may well be so, are klass and taylor the same product even? I dont think so
There was another system used in chch that had a plastic gutter behind the fascia, which is an even worse idea, it is going to fail in time for sure.
If you think trapping a light gauge galv gutter behind the fadcia and under the roofing overhang is a good idea then thats fine, from a replacement or maintenece point of view its a silly idea.
Even if the water goes out the low side first its still in the fascia soffit area, there is a row of slots punched in the lowest edge of the fascia to let such water escape but the problem is those slots get blocked with spiderwebs and or leafs etc that find there way in there over time, the next place the water goes is into the soffit area and then in the house.
In a perfect situation it may well work ok, but ive seen plenty that give trouble.external gutter systems are fool proof in this aspect.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 21, 6:26pm
The additions to that house were multiple diy efforts, nothing was similar to anything else, lol, and we of course being young and bushy tailed added our own to the continuing story. The gutter was internal in that it ran through the valley on the first floor level between two sloping roofs, starting from the wall of the second story and running to the downpipe. The section was heavily treed. Come a decent rainstorm the result was pretty inevitable.

Sad because I was really proud of that wallpapering job, and it had only been dry a week or so!

But hey, that's life! And lessons learned.

tweake, Jan 21, 6:37pm
and that sort of thing is still being built today.
looks over practicalities. or my fav "but its a maintenance issue not a design issue".

axelvonduisberg, Jan 21, 6:41pm
Check your House Insurance Policy, minehas a clause of damage caused by a fixed, installed interiot water syatem.You may be coverred under Insurance.

mlarkin, Jan 21, 6:47pm
Taylor fascia internal guttering is a rort! When we bought our existing house `11 years ago this was a problem with extremely wide overhangs and internal guttering. We ended up adding 4 extra downpipes and widening two existing downpipes. this is fixed the problem fortunately. How this plan originally was passed thru Council is a mystery as the original system was totally inadequate with extremely long lengths of house with no downpipes!

Apart from clearing existing system, it would be wise to investigate extra or wider downpipes to stop flooding into soffitt and internal walls again. Hopefully insurance will help you initially. Capricorngirl

alston, Aug 24, 2:53am
I saw the water running down the walls. There was a small spot, that the painter lifted in preparation.
That lead to him taking the gib off, (bay windows) beyond was a rotten mess. There are two bay windows, and they were similarly affected.
So 4 grand for those, a further 1500 for the guttering, plus of course re gib etc Never again will I trust a building inspector, who also did a moisture check