Internal guttering leaks

Page 1 / 2
sally63, Jan 19, 8:45pm
Just had a rain bomb and water was running down the insides of the walls in a couple of places. What to do? Who to call? Never happened before and been here many years. We have internal guttering

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 19, 8:54pm
When it happened to us it was a blockage in the downpipe at fault. The ceiling filled up with water, I popped holes in the softboard with a knitting needle and cried as it ran down my newly papered walls.

Tg4 insurance.

sally63, Jan 19, 9:03pm
Awwww so sorry. It must have been devastating for you.I will check all the guttering and soffits in the morning.

mouse265, Jan 19, 9:08pm
contact a roofer in your town

tweake, Jan 19, 9:20pm
thats a design/building issue.
there should be an overflow to stop that happening.
if they are really good a pan system so if it overflows the gutter it drains off rather than into the house.

internal gutters are a nightmare waiting to happen.
saw a place not long back (which some poor bugger just bought for a large amount) that has an internal drain for the upstairs deck. which pours through down inside the wall and then into the house whenever it rains.

sally63, Jan 19, 9:48pm
Yes I think it is fundamentally a design issue. It can be fixed. but at a cost I would think. Awful for that poor bugger whose house is leaking from the upstairs deck. You would have though a prepurchase inspection would have picked it up

nzshooter01, Jan 20, 7:13am
Are you meaning gutter behind the fascia running around the house as opposed to a butyol gutter in one spe0cific area?
This stuff is rubbish and not used any more thank god.once it gets a few leaves etc in it its just a disaster waiting to happen. Once water starts to back up in it it overflows and water enters the soffit area and then its straight into the house.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 20, 7:24am
Lol, the house was in Taupo, and well known for having been owned at some stage by every diyer who lived there. There was insufficient fall on the guttering that ran between two additions and the overflow only happened that once.

Because we got up there and fixed it.

It was an amazing house, and the garden even better.

sally63, Jan 20, 10:20am
Yes called Taylor guttering I am finding out. It is the only time it has done it.though. So the solution is 10's of thousands of dollars replacing?

koru67, Jan 20, 11:13am
Taylor Fascia, could be a blocked downpipe or two as others have said. Check your downpipes. Just had ours converted recently to external and it cost about $16k, single story house though. Quotes varied from 13-18k. Ours was 30+ years old so at the end of its life anyway.

bryalea, Jan 20, 1:20pm
We had a major 2019. Had occasionally had a bit of water come in to the kitchen through the door frame in the past if we had a southerly downpour. Just a few drips. Rarely happened but in late 2019 had a major downpour and a water explosion into the kitchen. Ceiling gave way so ended up with a hole in the ceiling, water everywhere. Had thought it was just a bit of a backflow from the guttering but after that we had the gutter taken right off and it was something to do with a corner and a metal sort of flowon thing being bent up enough to run water back into the house when it was blown in stormy blasts . Have since reroofed and had the ceiling replaced. Hoping it never happens again.

sally63, Jan 20, 3:37pm
Thanks koru and bryalea. It sounds scary and really costly. I will get a few roofing people to have a look ( I guess they are the ones to contact?) Did insurance cover the ceiling explosion and subsequent damage. bryalea?

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 20, 5:19pm
It did in our case, but that was a long time ago!

Worth the phone call to find out!

nzshooter01, Jan 20, 5:43pm
Taylor fascia and gutter system sold by stratco back in the 80's
Aussie system , in my opinion should never have been allowed,
Apart from the leaks the gutter will at some stage rust out as well.
I install modern external gutter systems in chch, it would be possable to change your house to a modern external gutter system, bit of work involved tho,

trade4us2, Jan 20, 6:18pm
I have three butanol internal gutters. They have been fine for 30 years.

alston, Jan 20, 7:23pm
After spending $900 for a prepurchase inspection, after settlement doing some redecorating, led to $4000 repairs. The internal gutters were faulty , which caused rotten walls.

Fast forward 18 months, a plumber repairing a leaky toilet, pointed out that the pipe involved was not compliant.It is now.
So now every time someone says get a builder inspection before purchase, my response is don’t bother.

bryalea, Jan 20, 8:04pm
Yes insurance covered it, 8k for ceiling replacement, plasterer, painting and electrician. Approved the day we went into lockdown :) Took a while to get fixed but better than it was originally.

tweake, Jan 20, 8:09pm
prepurchase would not pick it up unless it was raining at the time.
a good one might have pointed out the horrendously bad design, which the council approved and builders built.
its only a $750k house.

martin11, Jan 21, 8:18am
The Taylor /Klass internal gutter systems that were around 40 years ago were bad from the start relying on Silicon to seal the gutter joints . A trick in the building stage was to put the soffit lining up out of level so that if they leaked the water ran out in to the Fascia and out its drain holes . Council had no say in its use as it was approved by BRANZ at the time .
There were places that was doing replacement of the internal gutter around to fix leaing problems ,but again that relies on Silicon Sealant which is rubbish after about 10 years .

sally63, Jan 21, 12:27pm
What sort of costs are involved? It is a 280 sqm house, one level

sally63, Jan 21, 12:30pm
Were the repairs of the leaky walls $4000 or was that another cost? How do you know if it has caused damage to the walls?

nzshooter01, Jan 21, 1:54pm
I would only be guessing at cost, that sort of job i would only take on if i was short of work.
The edge of the roof and soffit would need to be cut back or altered to reach a position where the vertical height would suit the height of the new fascia, ie approx 180mm,

Then you are up for the cost of the new fascia plus instalation, fascia and labour to install probably around $30 per mtr, thats approx chch rates.
Im an ex chippie so if i was doing it i would do it all myself,
otherwise you would need a builder to alter the roof and soffitt

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 21, 2:33pm
You need to identify the cause and then sort that. In our case it was a blockage which we cleared and then protected access so it would not recur. At the same time we identified the lack of fall and altered that as well. We were fortunate to have family who were involved in construction engineering so were able to do most of the future proofing work ourselves.

nzshooter01, Jan 21, 2:47pm
Really its a bad system full stop, even if you kept the whole gutter system leaf free and clean, any decent downpour could full the whole gutter , the first point water will go when the gutter overflows is into the soffitt space and then its pretty much into the house.
Was yours the same system, ie gutter behind the fascia,
Reading your original post again i doubt we are talking about similar situations

martin11, Jan 21, 4:53pm
The Klass /Taylor Fascia system was designed if fitted correctly with the back of the internal gutter higher than the front so it should overflow to the outside .
I fitted Klass on my home in Blenheim in 1982 !