LPG 9kg leak

Page 1 / 2
pandana, Sep 1, 6:55pm
I all. I have an OLD LPG 9KG - (cant be refilled) and when its turned on gas escapes around the edges of the valve stem on top. (right under the tap) Clearly its not safe to attach it to the BBQ to use up the gas to make it acceptable for recycling! any suggestions of who / how the case can be removed?
(Ps. no i dont think its a good idea to take it to swappa bottle. !. blowing up a petrol station is not my desire. )

tegretol, Sep 1, 6:59pm
Open the tap slightly in an open space and let it slowly empty. Then take it to swappa. They test them after refilling.

Or alternatively, if you've just bought it full then take it back and demand a replacement as it's not fit for purpose.

pandana, Sep 1, 7:10pm
Thanks . the bottle is end of life. but its impossible to get rid of with gas in it.( unless you know some one who will take it. ) given LPG is heavier then air. floats on the ground. is that good idea to let it leak out . like that and besides it STINKS!

tegretol, Sep 1, 7:48pm
Yep as long as you have a decent open space and there is a wind. Only needs to trickly out slowly over a few days to be dispersed safely.

dastedly, Sep 1, 8:30pm
But most 9kg ones have a valve that needs a fitting screw in to the valve to let the gas out .

pandana, Sep 1, 9:37pm
Yes that is the modern do . but before that was made compulsory, as a safety thing, the didn't. turn the valve on- gas comes out.

johotech, Sep 1, 10:53pm
They can be recertified for another 10 years at a cylinder testing shop. I just had a couple done, and one had surface rust (which they cleaned and rust killed). They can probably fix the stem seal as well.
Less than $30 each I think it cost.

Or most scrap metal places probably have a burner system they use to empty the gas bottles. They won't care if it's leaking.

martin11, Sep 2, 7:21am
If the cylinder is out of date they retest them before re certifying the cylinder then the fill it if it passes

koru67, Sep 2, 7:25am
A couple of years ago we dropped our rusty bottle with gas to Powerstrip Industries who refurbish the bottles. Only thing is they are in Mt Wellington. If you are really stuck might be worth phoning them to see if they would accept it.

wembley1, Sep 2, 9:55am
Yes, but what the OP is describing is that with the valve hand-wheel turned on, there is a leak from the valve stem, notwithstanding the check valve found on QCC cylinders is preventing the gas from rushing out.

marte, Sep 3, 4:15am
And the OP wants to know how or where to get rid of the bottle Safety.

Scrapmetal dealers won't want it. Pressurised gas bottles & live ammunition are their worst nightmares.

tygertung, Sep 3, 8:07am
Just take down to swap a bottle, they overhaul the bottles then put them back into service.

terri01, Sep 3, 8:59am
They do not accept old leaking bottles

tegretol, Sep 3, 10:10am
If it's empty, how will the shop-worker knw that it was leaking? In any event, swap-a-bottle here in Nelson accept out-of-date bottles no problems.

terri01, Sep 3, 3:26pm
Pandana has stated the bottle is not empty, that it is an old bottle (it could be a clip on fitting) swap a bottle here will not accept bottles with clip on fittings.
Yes they will accept out of date bottles

martin11, Sep 3, 3:50pm
Most of the clip on valves were just an adapter in the standard pol fitting that can be removed with force . I believe with getting the bottle retested that they put a new valve in reagrdless

supernova2, Sep 3, 10:02pm
Leave it outside your front fence. Some thieving barsteward will whip it before you've made it back to your front door.

tygertung, Sep 4, 9:13am
I don't think the bottle is leaking, the bottle only leaks gas when the valve is opened.

tegretol, Sep 4, 9:32am
So it's not the bottle then - it's a leaky valve! OP - does this happen with other bottles (use soap-suds)?

intrade, Sep 4, 10:45pm
you would want somone who has experiance with the dangers of lpg. one can try and tighten the seal on topto stop it leak.
then syphone the gas in another bottle. Thats what i be doing to try and save the gas . ! Gas sinks down so you really have to know what you do leting it drain out and it goes to the next water drain and somone throws a cigarett in the drain kabooomm.

wembley1, Sep 5, 8:19am
FFS

You caution on getting someone who knows about LPG and then say you are syphone [sic] bottles yourself.

Firstly you mean decanting, not siphoning and unless you are an Approved Filler you are breaking the law.

As to LPG flowing into drains, the OP has already been advised to put it in their backyard in the fresh air where the leak will be dispersed.

intrade, Sep 5, 8:31am
buddy i know what i am doing i certify my self to do stuff and i have no insurance so you can be sure i wont blow my self up nor will i ever need to claim insurance as i have non and need none. I would get the thing sealed up and then get the gas out bottle upside down with a hose in to another preferably larger bottle . its why i said you need to know what your doing . it is dangerous but only if you dont know what could happen and how dangerous lpg can be. its why i pointed 1 danger of many more out. Like you cant make sparks and you better dont be static charged getting the gas out. who is liquid its why its called lpg Liquid-petrolium -gas

intrade, Sep 5, 8:39am
id probbably put the bottle in a form of press to hold the valve shut while i lift off the sealer collet to wind in thread tape on shaft to stop leak . clamping the valve in so it dont fly out with the valve and all the gas out . if the collet cant be made more tight and was just loose to cause the leak. Stuff like that needs to be milled in the head from a to Z its what i learned in my aprentice. you have to think things thru from a to z before you start. Best advise i was ever given and to turn the brain on. Was what i was told by a formen who was the the guy looking after apprentice engeneers at the time i got my certificate.
This goes for everything from car problems to leak in roof to corona virus if you dont know stuff and go in blind your upping your chances of death many folds.

intrade, Sep 5, 8:45am
So if you have no clue and are to scared get a big permanent marker and write on bottle "danger tap leak do not open"
because lpg will freeze up if it leaks out. its why some crazy morons use it as refrigerant. it works real well till it goes kaboomm as refrigernat .
i also think when somones house blows up from a gas bottle they got to be seriusly retarded you need a massive leak or a good vessel to store the gas first in a drain to make it kaboom with a ignition source like a light switch the gas has to be where the spark is arking inside the switch assembly. On boats its extreem dangerous as the whole hulls lower part can turn in to lpg Bo#b. all stuff to learn and anyone should know the basics at least.

wembley1, Sep 5, 9:56am
I don't think you do know what you are talking about. A small leak from a valve stem won't freeze because there would ample heat in the surrounding air to allow for the heat of vaporisation inside the cylinder.

Hydrocarbon gases are a very common refrigerant nowadays to replace the flurocarbons of old.

Tell me this — you plan on decanting from one cylinder to another — how will you know when the other cylinder is "full"?