No more LPG Bottles

Page 1 / 4
jojo76, Feb 2, 5:34pm
I read an article this morning on the hearld's website that stated as of 2025 there will be no more LPG gas bottles.
Did anyone read this? I cant find it now so maybe it contained mis information?
Ive got several questions sorrounding this, if it is correct. So no more gas BBQ's, i do like good old charcoal bbq's but what about in a power cut? dont think carcoal would boil my water? Does this include large LPG bottles for those on infinty hot water systems? What do those who live full time in motorhomes or caravans ment to do?

Thought someone might have some more information they could share. Thanks

Edit: found a similar article which mentions gas bottle gone by 2025 but it is very vague
https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018781815/climate-change-report-what-s-the-future-of-gas

alston, Feb 2, 6:19pm
What do you expect from a hopeless government?
It’s only words, and we all know nothing much will happen. Give them time and they may work their way through the consequences of the ill thought out
schemes! Today bottles, tomorrow no cooking, no heating, no restaurants,
no laundromat drying care to add to the list?

bill1451, Feb 2, 7:00pm
Oh balls, it all just a "proposal" like Jacinda was going to bring in capital gains tax, but decided "political suicide" was not a good idea, like all these airy fairy
ideas politicians have no idea AT ALL what goes on in the work place or real world. Think of all the workshops that use LPG for gas cutting not to mention all the caravanners.They would be far better to try and block up all the worlds volcanoes which in a single eruption emit far more C02 and other greenhouse gases
than china and the USA combined.NZ is but a pimple on a pumpkin in terms of GH gases, we have been conned.

alston, Feb 2, 7:36pm
Some of us know we've been conned, it's the other 57%? that is the worry!

jojo76, Feb 2, 7:57pm
Apparently the lpg gas bottles was those used for heating. So as you were 😂

marte, Feb 2, 8:55pm
Ridiculous idea, LPG is a viable alternative to Acetylene gas for many applications & to have to use Acetylene rather than LPG is extremely wasteful, and expensive.

tweake, Feb 2, 9:30pm
i can imagen what commercial fishing boats are saying about not having lpg bottles.

lyndad59, Feb 2, 9:47pm
SO we have gas hob and gas hot water, so will the big bottles be gone too ?

fibertrix, Feb 2, 10:51pm
If I can't use my LPG bottle for cooking I'll have to go back to an open fire. How's that going to help "climate change".
Remember that any letters sent to Government don't need a stamp. Get active.

marte, Feb 3, 1:41am
All those people who installed gas powered water heating, got Reemed

annie17111, Feb 3, 7:23am
We use gas for our dryers at my work and can imagine most commercial laundries do too.

tygertung, Feb 3, 7:32am
I use LPG on my oxy acetylene plant instead of acetylene.

lythande1, Feb 3, 8:00am
It's a maybe. as part of climate change ideas. Not a ban as yet.
Doesn't bother me, gas bbqs are just outdoor ovens anyway. I much prefer wood and woodsmoke.
In a powercut what? You can't light a charcoal bbq? Or buy a meths camp cooker?

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 3, 8:47am
So, climate change is less important than some being able to fire up the barbie?

Yup. We're doomed.

jojo76, Feb 3, 8:51am
I haven’t used charcoal in years, not sure if it will boil water?
Our gas bbq is great is a power cut as we have a size burner to boil spuds and fry - at the same Time.

But if you’d read my post earlier, the log gas bottle “proposed” ban was for those who use it for heating, not domestic ones the article was changed in another one I found from lpg bottles in general. Still not sure where that leaves gas hot water though

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 3, 8:56am
Sheesh.

Of course it will boil water! Any fire that gets hot enough will do that, and charcoal burns hot.

jojo76, Feb 3, 10:08am
Thanks sorry for my ignorance, as I said haven’t seen one being used in many years, probably as a child and our food wasn’t cooked properly. My dad couldn’t seem to get to hot enough.
But it doesn’t matter anyway as there is no proposed ban on domestic lpg bottles

jan2242, Feb 3, 10:31am
It's a proposal, along with eliminating all petrol and diesel cars. A total impossibility to do in our system.

ginks, Feb 3, 11:21am
Labour are brain dead ,they open their mouths and then engage what little brain they have.

pico42, Feb 3, 11:47am
Reading comprehension not your thing?

The article says:
"The Climate Change Commission, in its draft plan for cutting the country's emissions, has advised that it is time to cut gas.
Its plan suggests no new natural gas connections to the network or bottled LPG after 2025.
By 2050, the commission says existing natural gas in buildings should be phased out."

your interpretation is
"I read an article this morning on the hearld's website that stated as of 2025 there will be no more LPG gas bottles."

Even allowing for the fact that you couldn't immediately locate the article to read again, it is concerning that your recollection is so absolute, and not simply a recommendation in a draft report.

jojo76, Feb 3, 12:36pm
Yes, I have misinterpreted what has been written, I’m sorry, but do you need to grill me (no pun intended)?
Oh that’s right it is the TM message board what else can I expect.

bill-robinson, Feb 3, 12:38pm
as we have just moved house and installed gas hot water will the govt be paying compensation in 5 years, or will they increase electricty prices to fund their pipe dream.

sgrants, Feb 3, 12:45pm
"We" can't fight homelessness, hunger or poverty but "We" are going to fight "Climate change"
Just let that sink in for a minute!

trade4us2, Feb 3, 1:49pm
The Climate Change Commission has only one person with any climate qualifications at all, and apparently is not qualified in Physics or Geology.
The others know nothing about the climate.
I don't know why Jacinda believes them. If Labour and the Greens go ahead with this nonsense, they will not be elected again for a long time.

ian1990, Feb 3, 2:24pm
Next minute they are probably going to try and ban high flow showers heads.