Smartvent VS DVS vs SAYR

Page 1 / 3
familiadude1, Jun 19, 6:48pm
Hey guys is any one of the above systems better or worse than the other? I won't use HRV due to their sales tactics. Have a quote from both SAYR and Smartvent for 4 outlet system and they are pretty much the same price. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

joanie32, Jun 19, 7:22pm
x1
I totally get where you're coming from with HRV's sales tactics. Sometimes it feels like they're more interested in making a sale than helping you find the right ventilation system for your home. But don't worry, there are plenty of other options out there, including Smartvent, DVS, and SAYR.

So, which one should you choose? Well, it really depends on your specific needs and preferences. All three systems have their pros and cons, so it's important to do your research before making a decision.

Let's start with Smartvent. This system is known for its energy efficiency and quiet operation. It uses a heat recovery system to keep your home warm in winter and cool in summer, which can help you save on your energy bills. Plus, it's designed to be easy to use and maintain, so you shouldn't have to worry about any major issues down the line.

Next up is DVS. This system is popular for its high air flow and ability to filter out pollen and other allergens. It's also designed to be energy efficient and easy to use, with a simple control panel that lets you adjust the settings to your liking. However, some users have reported issues with noise, so if you're sensitive to that, you might want to consider a different system.

Finally, there's SAYR. This system is known for its quiet operation and easy installation. It's designed to be user-friendly, with a simple control panel that lets you adjust the settings to your liking. Plus, it's backed by a 5-year warranty, so you can feel confident that you're getting a quality product.

So, which one is right for you? Well, as I said before, it really depends on your specific needs and preferences. If energy efficiency and quiet operation are your top priorities, Smartvent might be the way to go. If you're concerned about allergens and air quality, DVS might be a better fit. And if you're looking for an easy-to-use system with a good warranty, SAYR could be a great option.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. But no matter which system you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. A good ventilation system can make all the difference when it comes to the comfort and health of your home, so it's definitely worth investing in one that meets your needs. Good luck!

tweake, Jun 19, 7:39pm
ventilation systems work well and it saves you from keeping windows open.
because they don't rely on wind, they provide much more consistent air flow and that makes a big difference.

as far as differences go its hard to tell. most companies do not publish any real information on their systems. i suspect most of them run fairly similar fans.
the big differences is in the controller and other bits.
one thing i recommend is to get one with an easy to change filter and one where you can connect an external air inlet. some house you can't have the air intake in the ceiling.

smallwoods, Jun 19, 7:44pm
OFO, another dreamer.

We lowered the amount of wood required in our Kent fireplace once we installed an HRV.
Been burning most of today and used just over wicker basket load.
Have not regretted it.
Even installed one in a rental for the tenants, as their kids suffer from asthma.
In our son's house in Hamilton, we installed a Smart Vent system.
Because through work we got a very good price.

But I'd chose HRV over it.

tweake, Jun 19, 7:50pm
the other one you might want to look at is evoaq or weiss.
they use an EC fan, ie pwm variable speed. most other other systems use old school 2 or 3 speed fans (even if there control panel says 5 levels its still only 3).
they are also a lot lower powered fan.
they also use smaller vents which is handy for small rooms.

tweake, Jun 19, 8:01pm
one thing i like about DVS is they are i think the only manufacture that has automatic summer kit. all it does is switch from ceiling air inlet to external air inlet when the ceiling becomes to hot. most summer kits are manual change over, you have to push the button, which doesn't help when your not home.
with most systems if the inlet air gets to hot the fan turns off and you get no ventilation.

like today mine stopped because it was so hot, i had to switch it over to external air and it started back up.

lythande1, Jun 20, 9:23am
True. I had one in a house we bought. It put filth all over the ceilings, it aggravated sons asthma and did nothing useful. We disconnected it.

hound31, Jun 20, 10:29am
Agree, I had a DVS, waste of money. All it did was blow a draft onto whoever was sitting near the vent in the lounge and yep, filthy ceiling near it.

tweake, Jun 20, 10:47am
if installed correctly you should not notice a draft.

a lot of the ones i've seen installed have been done badly.
they should be set to direct the air across the ceiling, not down onto the seats.
500mm away from the outlet you can't even feel the air flow.
what i think makes it worse is many appear to be massively oversized for the space they are meant to cover. you don't need that much ventilation and excessive ventilation removes heat.

a mates got a quote recently and they quoted to install three fans. thats just crazy.
i guess they get commission per fan installed.

johotech, Jun 20, 11:00pm
Smartvent systems with the summer kit installed will automatically select the correct intake source.

beachboy61, Jun 21, 12:30pm
We have a SAYAR, it works well, no more condensation on windows in winter.
I recommend them.

joanie32, Jun 21, 3:29pm
Must never a lot colder down there. We light our fire in the evenings only and after a couple of logs then turn it down.

I could get a HRV for nothing, but I see no point.

tygertung, Jun 21, 4:03pm
I am going to make my own called the "Ventatron 2000" It is going to consist of a centrifugal extractor fan, filter, one way valve, thermocouples and an arduino microcomputer as the controller. I figured there could be winter mode and summer mode perhaps.

Anyway the scheme was to measure the temperature in the roof cavity and measure the temperature in the house, and if the roof was warmer in the roof, to start the fan. If the room is colder than the house, don't bother.

I figure there is no point pumping freezing cold air into the house. On cold sunny days the roof actually gets quite warm.

Could have summer mode for at night where if the roof is cooler to pump cold air into the house for those hot summer nights.

I was going to have two fans, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

I've got the fans, but have not implemented them yet.

Also have one way valves, to stop the air leaking out from the house into the roof cavity when not in use.

tygertung, Jun 21, 4:19pm
But currently just open the windows during the day. Works great.

tweake, Jun 21, 4:42pm
the heat value from the celling is actually pretty minimal.
you do not want to be spending to much trying to capture it.

a simple cheap system is outdoor air intake, filter, an adjustable fan and outlets. tune the system to give enough airflow and then leave it alone. let it run 24/7. no need for controllers.
works better than open windows, doesn't let bugs in.

this is also known as a landlord system.

frankly a ventilation system doesn't really cool the house much at all.
it simply doesn't pump enough air in for that to happen. its better than nothing but the effect is not noticeable.

tweake, Jun 21, 4:43pm
nice to know, do you remember which system of theirs that does that?

joanie32, Jun 21, 5:58pm
Open windows for half an hour, half an hour after sunrise, and agin half an hour before sunset

My dear old gran told me this and it’s what I’ve always done

It’s sad that this sort of common sense has been forgotten and BS from halfwit salesmen has taken its place.

bryshaw, Jun 21, 6:04pm
DVS filters are the cheapest and the system lasts for yonks. I left it off for one night before changing the filter and next morning the windows were heavily fogged up so yes they do work.

tweake, Jun 21, 6:46pm
i used to do that. i ended up leaving a couple of windows open constantly.
but both those methods i found worse than a ventilation system.
i find constant airflow is key.
to have enough ventilation, without it being excessive, and be the same regardless of what the wind is doing.

there is some science behind it.
open windows requires a bit of wind to get air moving in the house. to much wind gives excessive ventilation which brings its own issues.
the opening windows for 1/2 hour thing relies heavily on having enough moisture storage and then having enough wind to blow it all out. probably ok in drier aeras.

the other big factor is the type of house you have.
a lot of the older homes have "windows" open permanently ie air leaky house. dry but loose most of the heating.

johotech, Jun 21, 7:06pm
Unfortunately this really goes to show that you don't know how a positive pressure system works, or what functions the controller performs. The whole point of the system is to provide fresh air inside the house while supplying air that is warmer than outside whenever possible.

It doesn't cost any more to take the warm air from the roof space, and it's obviously more efficient to capture that warm air, than to just use cold outside air.
And even when there's no sun on the roof, the air in the roof will always be warmer than outside air.

joanie32, Jun 21, 7:20pm
Really?

I have no ventilation system

No heat pump

No wet windows

I think you have to start looking beyond the plastic fan in your ceiling.

joanie32, Jun 21, 7:23pm
I have a good house, keeping it warm and dry is pretty simple

Sounds like you live in a cardboard box

They can get very cold and wet, I’m told

tweake, Jun 21, 7:48pm
your not correct in a few things.
i suggest you measure the roof space air sometime, its as cold as outside when there is no sun. (i was in the ceiling yesterday, cold as)

very simply the ceiling air heats up when its not being pumped out. the trouble is the system pumps (depending on ceiling) 4-5x the ceiling volume per hour, so its sucking in large amounts of outside air. so the air doesn't get to heat up all that much. hence why its fairly minimal gain.

its simply not true that roof space is "always" warmer than the house.
however one exception, crappy old houses that leak all their heat (fireplace/heatpump) up into the roof space, and you recover a fraction of that wasted heat.
far better to have a decent house that doesn't leak a ton of heat to start with.

however there is a big catch.
if ceiling heats up to much, the systems turn off to avoid overheating the house. when that happens you loose ventilation. hence the summer kits. simply an external air inlet so you get cool air and the system keeps pumping in air.

as the roof heat is fairly minimal value a cheaper solution is to not buy the summer kit and go plumb the air intake to the outside.
however if your house is heavily shaded (house doesn't heat up in the sun) but the roof is not, using that roof space air might be worth it.

tweake, Jun 21, 8:08pm
to add,
afaik HRV got taken to court over their "use the free heat in the ceiling" marketing because its pretty much bogus. which is why they are all doing the "crying windows" marketing these days.

put it this way,
when the sun is out enough to constantly heat the roof space well enough to give you free heating, the house has already heated up in the sun so you don't want it.

keep in mind all houses and locations are different. so it may work ok for some (eg shaded house).

tweake, Jun 21, 8:18pm
ok i'll nibble.

big downside with my place is the large horrible aluminium windows of the 80's. worse than old school wooden windows.
but then again my heating bill is only $40 a month.

also i'm in northland where its always damp. none of this nice cold but dry stuff.
drying out a house with damp air is difficult (see the thread of people in chch not being able to dry clothes, thats normal here).

the other factor is the human side. the amount of times i've seen people claim "warm house" and they are inside with outdoor clothes on. ie they are warm but the house is an icebox.
so hence i will be skeptical until the temps actually measured.