How wide apart studs for weatherboards?

Page 1 / 2
friendly_prawn, Nov 23, 11:18am
I know normally 600, but this is for a privacy wall for my deck so no council to consider. . Is 850 apart ok? Or will the weatherboards start to warp? Weatherboards are a 19mm thick. Im guessing it will be ok but just wanted others thoughts before going ahead.

zak410, Nov 23, 11:57am
600. Why trying to save a couple of studs ?
and yes the w/b would probably warp.

docsportello, Nov 23, 12:12pm
dude, that is some serious scrimpin'. how big is your deck, 2km long?

friendly_prawn, Nov 23, 2:50pm
Lol. Nothing to do with scrimping. All about the look im after. If needed ill go with more but considering im not going to put a cover on the inside its going to look ugly. I was even thinking of just using dressed 150x25 boards instead of weatherboards so i dont have to use any ugly studs but holy hell. The price of dressed timber that size is insane.

stevo2, Nov 23, 5:38pm
Dont be a tight-arse. 600mm max.

zak410, Nov 23, 6:03pm
Trellis and passion fruit.

trade4us2, Nov 23, 7:58pm

colin433, Nov 23, 8:21pm
why can't you put the studs on the outside and use 150X25. no overlapping, no studs in sight

friendly_prawn, Nov 24, 7:11am
merch grade 150 x 25 is about $5 give or take depending where you buy, per meter. I wont use merch grade. Want it to look good.

Now stop that up to premium grade. Aside from the fact I cant seem to buy it anywhere locally @ 6 meter lengths, in mitre 10 its $23 per meter. How the hell do they justify the price difference is beyond me.
You're looking at $10 a meter at other places for 4.8 lengths of decking timber that size which means I'll have to stagger it which I dont want to do.

Weatherboard is only $3.50pm and comes in 6 meter lengths. Which makes it a no brainer.

friendly_prawn, Nov 24, 7:12am
Kind of defeats the purpose of privacy doesn't it? lol

friendly_prawn, Nov 24, 7:14am
I now have advice from suppliers of weatherboard you can go up to 1 meter apart on studs with out issues. So my original 850 is fine. Perhaps you should stop offering bad advice?

friendly_prawn, Nov 24, 7:16am
Hmmm, now thats not a bad idea. Actually I love that idea. Need to rethink this now. Trellis wasnt an option due to being see through but add passion fruit and problem solved. cheers zac. will chew that one over.

friendly_prawn, Nov 24, 7:18am
actually trellis wont cut it thinking about it. Its on the edge of a bank. Anyone happened to go through trellis would have a long fall. I dont think trellis would be strong enough to trust in this position.

martin11, Nov 24, 7:20am
I am a retired builder who has done a lot of weatherboard houses and would advise against that ,the timber W/b's will move being exposed in your situation more than normal 600c/s max

friendly_prawn, Nov 24, 7:53am
The frustrating part is every one has a different opinion. The supplier guarantees me it wont be a problem.

Well its not the end of the world I guess. I might chuck and extra stud in just to be on the safe side. Studs being rough sawn look ugly so I guess I may have to line the inside of the wall too which i was trying to avoid. cheers Martin.

trade4us2, Nov 24, 8:23am
It's on the edge of a bank, so the neighbours can't look in anyway

friendly_prawn, Nov 24, 8:33am
The bizzare things people say some times.

martin11, Nov 24, 8:49am
Read this :http://www.certclad.co.nz/fil-
escont/Bevel%20Back%20-%20Cavi-
ty/CERTCLAD%20Bevel%20Back%20C-
avity%20System%20Installation%-
20Manual%20v1-3.pdf

Max 600mm centers !

friendly_prawn, Nov 24, 9:05am
Already read similar. I already know what the standard is. Read my first post. States clearly supposed to be 600. But this is not for a house. This is for a deck. Council specs make zero difference here. It comes purely down to whats visually acceptable to me. Going by the people that sell the weatherboard Im buying, you can get away with 1000 centres. He said he has done it himself in the past with out any issues and can even show me an old wall he has done it on.

But as said, will double up anyway just to be on the safe side. Just means I'll probably end up lining the inside of the wall too, which is what I really wanted to avoid doing. oh well.

martin11, Nov 24, 10:01am
If you have any issues later by going to 1.0m centers with boards bowing or cupping it will be a pain to fix and probably cost more than doing it at 600mm c/s when you build it

budgel, Nov 24, 11:21am
If you plane the corners off roughsawn studs it can smarten up the appearance a surprising amount.
If you are using roughsawn, they are unlikely to be dry and may move and twist as they dry out.

Ever heard the saying? "Advice is what you ask for when you know the answer, but wish you didnt."

smallwoods, Nov 24, 11:36am
Well it's not the sawmills making money.
I'd get about $1.15-$1.30/lm

Just go to a heavier dimension timber and use less studs.

smallwoods, Nov 24, 11:39am
Again, go to a heavier gauge.

We do trellis up to 50x12mm

pauldw, Nov 24, 11:42am
How high is this going to be? As well as holding the weatherboards it could have a bunch of people resting their bums on it trying to push it over.

trade4us2, Nov 24, 11:59am
friendly_prawn said:
The bizzare things people say some times.

friendly_prawn also said:
actually trellis wont cut it thinking about it. Its on the edge of a bank. Anyone happened to go through trellis would have a long fall. I dont think trellis would be strong enough to trust in this position