Ranch slider rollers

jojo76, Feb 15, 8:45pm
How easy is it to replace rollers etc yourself?. I've had a quote to have someone to come sort it out 220 plus gst, so I'm like nah I'll do it myself if fairly easy!

fast4motion, Feb 15, 9:02pm
Provided you can lift the door out of the track, it's really easy. Generally just need a screwdriver, with a single screw holding each roller/carriage in place.

martin11, Feb 16, 7:37am
And the right rollers ,there are different ones for some doors depends on who and when they were made .

happychappy50, Feb 16, 7:41am
If you can find out the brand of door is half the battle,replacing them is a snack,lift out the door & you loosen off theadjusting screw,flick out with a screwdriver & replace.

hammerman1, Feb 16, 8:19am
Bunnings sell a range of rollers for these.

mlarkin, Feb 16, 4:20pm
Depends how young you are. This is not a job for just anyone. Personally I think $220 + GST is reasonable for a professional job where tools to do it are essential. We had the rollers in 5 ranchsliders and 10 sliding windows done a few months ago. Two guys lifted the heavy panes with suction plugs either side, cleaned the channels top and bottom and replaced the rollers, which were late 1970s type. They no longer rattle and now run smoothly. Capricorngirl

morrisjvan, Feb 16, 5:03pm
IF the door comes out easy enough, and IF you can source replacement rollers ,and IF the track itself has not been damaged, then it is a doddle. but if any of those 'ifs' don't occur ,it is an absolute nightmare and you will wish that you had never started!

morticia, Feb 16, 5:23pm
We managed to source the correct rollers off a local tradesman who stocked them for about $30 each and did them all ourselves but retailers certainly didn't have anything like them.

jojo76, Feb 17, 3:03pm
Yep we are young ;) have had door out to look at rollers, so that is no issue. Just not sure of what make the door is, which could be our sticking point,

morticia, Feb 17, 3:19pm
Look for a part number stamped somewhere on the unit. It was likely used by various manufacturers and if there's one on it, it might google up other numbers that also relate to the same part to use as a reference point when looking for replacements.

krames, Feb 17, 3:23pm
take one roller out,take it to a glazier and get 2 replacements.
check track for wear, you can get caps that go over damaged tracks just make sure you have enough height play.
adjust rollers so door is plumb clean your track out too

beebs, Feb 21, 11:31am
these are the people we have used, really helpful, just send them a photo of the existing one
https://www.joineryhardware.co.nz/shop-door-wheels-carriages.html

ambo11, Dec 20, 7:15pm
Just done this, rollers were rusted, steel screws into aluminium just snapped off, so had to re drill etc, real pain. And we bought the ones Bunnings said were correct (took and old one in) and they were different, so went to a local alloy joiner and got the right ones for $50. If the doors are older be prepared for rusty screws which will snap off.