Freeview boxes and signals

Page 1 / 2
piquant, Mar 12, 11:27am
Has anyone got any bright ideas why my signals go on and off like a yoyo? One day I'll have lots of stations - half an hour later - I can't get them! I seem to spend my life (when I do want to watch the telly) scanning for channels. There's nothing wrong with the TV - great picture when I do get the channel. I used to mainly watch TV1 - now I can barely get it and, if I do, the picture flicks on and off and gets stuck in a colourful pixilated state.
It seems the only ones I can reliably get are the ones I certainly don't want - American crap, religious bigots and advertising garbage. I've had someone check the connections - all seem fine - and, as I say - when it works - it's good. Have I got a mad little gremlin in my roof - determined to piss me off?

fast4motion, Mar 12, 11:50am
What sort of aerial do you have? If it's a terrestrial/UHF aerial, check that it's pointing in the right direction, and also check that it's mounted correctly (not sideways). Both will cause symptoms similar to what you've described.

piquant, Mar 12, 3:03pm

boby11, Mar 12, 3:22pm
You would be better off getting a big antenna, as some freeview units need a stronger signal than others. Also when its bad get the freeview unit to reload the channels .it should then pick the strongest signal ones from the duplicated ones

trade4us2, Mar 12, 3:44pm
The antenna may not be pointing in quite the right direction. I can't use a terrestrial aerial as there are too many hills in the way.
So I have a dish, which has the great advantage that I can see the TV while moving the dish around to get the best reading. Have a look at the menu for the freeview box to see if there's a signal quality screen (there should be)

piquant, Mar 12, 9:48pm
Mmmm! I'll have to get some help in I think - I'm not getting up on the roof and even if I did - I couldn't judge if the signal was right. Can't be in two places at the same time! The odd thing is that when I do get the signal - the picture is perfect and strong. Before this digital era - everything was unky-dory - never lost the signal - now, if there is wind or thundery weather or the like - it's dreadful. Makes viewing very undesireable. So much for so called progress.

fast4motion, Mar 12, 10:34pm
The first thing you should do is look at all your neighbours aerials to see which direction they're facing, then check yours is the same.

tmenz, Mar 13, 8:29am
Can you please give us more information?
Firstly, your general location.
Secondly, are you receiving terrestrial UHF Freeview or Satellite Freeview?
Thirdly, what devices do you have - Freeview box and non-Freeview TV or TV with built-in Freeview? Brands and model numbers?
Post some photos of your aerial installation.

It certainly sounds as if your reception is marginal and you are suffering from the so-called 'cliff' effect - with digital transmissions everything is fine until the signal drops below a threshhold, at which point it deteriorates rapidly and fails.
For Terrestrial, if you are in a good coverage area then there is no reason why your reception shouldn't be rock-solid if your aerial and cabling system is in good condition and properly aligned.
For Satellite , as long as you've got a clear path and the dish is aligned correctly, this should also be rock-solid most of the time - unfortunately severe weather can affect satellite reception but this should be minimal for a well installed system.

piquant, Mar 13, 9:57am
tmenz. I'm in Homebush, Masterton. On the flat with apparently good access to the signals. I believe TV1 and 2 come from Bennetts Hill? The antennas were installed professionally by Aerials R Us (see pic from yesterday) We get terrestrial UHF Freeview and have an Igloo box Model DT840INZ. The TV is a Phillips (see pic of label as I can't see a model) plus I decided to take a pic of the screen to show the clarity. Unfortunately, that didn't work well as - as soon as I was looking thru a camera at the screen a series of fast moving bands across the screen became clear (but not at all visible to the naked eye) I don't know - is that normal? I haven't ever looked at a TV screen thru a camera before! Anyway - you may be able to deduce something from this info - appreciate your help.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/746367082.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/746367281.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/746367616.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/746367969.jpg

rayonline_tm, Mar 13, 3:21pm
It depends on your location. We had to get a phased array aerial . google it cos we are inside a valley with hills around us. Even after that we can only use one TV, we used to have a splitter and have TVs in the other rooms so the other people can watch TV as well but fortunate now we have the main channels o the internet that we can stream. Ie TVNZ and TV3. If you don't have that many obstructions but just far away maybe you need a long pointy one. You can get them extra long as well. It may also depend on which spot on the roof is the best spot.

Digital TV require a stronger signal than analogue TV.

It would be good to at least get someone over to give you an assessment. They would walk on your roof with an aerial and a signal tester and tell you where on your roof is the strongest reception.

When we did it we had to return the aerial more than once and trying stuff out.

We've been told that if we wanted more TVs to be used maybe we need more than one aerial to be installed or maybe a booster installed.

Satellite TV with a Freeview box is an alternative way but that won't be High Definition.

rayonline_tm, Mar 13, 3:27pm
1. So the professionals installed this UHF Freeview aerial for you? When did they do the install for you?
2. Have you tried rescanning the channels?
3. Maybe the aerial got blown by some high winds? We find that at home here.
4. When did you start to have these problems?

tmenz, Mar 13, 3:51pm
OK, I didn't appreciate that the #3 photo was actually of your aerial installation.
It's a bit hard to make out, but from what I can discern, it looks to me as if part of the UHF aerial has collapsed. It looks like the 'X' element should be standing out in front of the mesh reflector but has in fact drooped down and is hanging below the reflector. If this is the case then it will explain why it isn't working properly any more.
Are you able to take a clearer closer photo of the UHF aerial (not the large loop dipole which is obviously an old redundant analogue VHF aerial).

To address the other points:
The artifacts that you see on the TV display when you look through the camera are quite normal - it is not a problem - they are a result of 'interference' between the way that the TV display works and the way that a digital camera works. (If it was a purely optical film camera you would not get the problem.)
From what I can see the TV (Model number 21PF2012/79R) and the Igloo box are working just fine and are unlikely to be causing any of the problems.
None of your channels are coming from Bennett's Hill/Otahoua.
All of your digital signals are coming from the transmitter site on Popoiti, East of Greytown. This site is approximately 110° around to the right of Bennett's Hill from your location and is where your UHF aerial should be pointing.
From what I can make out from your photo, if the old large loop dipole aerial is broadside on to Bennett's Hill, (as it should have been to receive the old analogue transmissions), then the UHF aerial is indeed pointing more or less at right angles to it, which is where Popoiti should be.
Can you confirm this?

Your location is in a primary coverage area and you should be getting excellent reception which should be solid and free from weather-related dropouts or other problems.
The fact that you are not, suggests that you don't have clear line-of-sight to Popoiti - i.e. there is foliage or greenery in the way that absorbs/reflects more signal when it gets wet - or there is a mechanical/electrical problem with your aerial, alignment and/or cabling system somewhere.

piquant, Mar 13, 5:53pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/746636663.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/746637472.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/746637706.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/746637992.jpg
I don't know that these are going to be much better - there's a wisteria covered verandah in the way! I've got up the step ladder to try and get a better look and have zoomed in on it a bit but where I can do this best from, doesn't give a very clear picture. That plus the brooding grey skies! I can see things quite clearly, and there is no indication of anything having "given way" or hanging down - it all looks just as it always has. And I have to say that the bracket/stand that the aerials are on are pretty ruggedly built and braced in two additional places plus where it is attached to the wall. It doesn't look like it has moved even an inch. A friend did get up on the roof and checked the connections were sound as I thought one may have come loose and that was what the problem could be - like a loose wire giving intermittent contact. But no - they were all fine. The fact also that when the signal does come through - it's great - makes me think that the thing hasn't moved.
I would have said that the large loop dipole is actually pointing to Bennetts Hill and yes, the other grid type arrangement is certainly roughly at right angles to that and face on towards Greytown. It is a few years now since this was installed and I suppose the problem could be trees. I think the only way to find out is probably to get the man back to check the alignment. I really don't see that it could be a mechanical or electrical problem given that it is an intermittent problem.
But hey, thank you all so much for your very clear and understandable instruction - it is very much appreciated that people are so willing to help and take the time to remedy a problem. I like to do this myself so it's nice to be the recipient of advice for a change! Thanks again.

rayonline_tm, Mar 13, 7:26pm
Done the rescanning the channels with the Freeview remote control?
When did you start having problems?

piquant, Mar 13, 8:42pm
yes, rayonline_tm - that is what I have to do almost daily! Probably started - oh, about 18 months ago I guess. Maybe 2 years. Yery insidious - it has just got worse as time has gone on.

supernova2, Mar 13, 9:35pm
If you going to get a pro to have alook get them to take the old dipole away while they are up there.

tmenz, Mar 14, 10:25am
OK, I think I can now make out the actual construction of the UHF aerial even though it's a bit indistinct - what's puzzling me are the aerial rods across the mount below the UHF mesh! They look like they might be a leftover analogue VHF aerial! (Hopefully the old analogue aerials are not connected/coupled into the cabling - if they are, get them removed)

Am I correct in deducing that the ridgeline of your roof runs essentially North-South and that the aerials are mounted on the northern end with the UHF aerial facing South along the roofline?

If the aerial alignment is OK, then the possible causes that spring to mind are:
Obstruction(s) in the line-of-sight path between you and Popoiti. There's not a lot you can do about that apart from setting out with a bulldozer and chainsaw!
Raising the aerial on a longer pole can help clear any such obstructions.

Poor connections on your cabling. Even though cable and connections may look OK, there can be internal problems with corrosion and looseness in all fittings (top and bottom) and these can best be examined by someone with an experienced eye and a multimeter.
As a corollary, if there are any cable combiners or splitters in the system, then these should be carefully checked for poor or corroded connections.

Interference. Is it possible that there is something generating interference locally? This can be anything electrical - water pumps, milking machines, welders etc. Is the problem occurring around the same time each day it happens?
(My son has a problem where he lives near a beach - every time his neighbour fires up his old tractor to tow his boat, it blots out my son's UHF TV reception!)

There is, of course, a possibility that your Igloo box has an intermittent fault - this is less likely but still possible. The only real way to prove/disprove this is to substitute another Freeview box temporarily.

rayonline_tm, Mar 14, 11:01am
If you had this problem for 2yr. When was the aerial installed?

Yes know someone with a smaller TV that they can lend you to test out? Many newer TVs now have a builtin Freeview (tuner) function. They don't need a Freeview box.

rayonline_tm, Mar 14, 8:55pm
I didn't mean replace the TV. If you know someone who has a smallish TV you can use that to test if your TV or the Freeview box you have now are working correctly. It can save you hiring the technician to your place. A smallish TV will be easier to move it into your house to test it out.

spyware, Mar 15, 7:36pm
Because there are 5 multiplexes (MediaWorks, TVNZ, Maori and 2 x Kordia), all on different frequencies.

anne1955, Mar 19, 8:38pm
I haven't had any Chanel but TV1 for nearly 3 yrs A visiting child mucked around with it after being told not to as he use to do it in my previous home and did the same (bratt) but when I moved was a change of freeview box and Ariel and then again he visited grrrrrrr to what I can work out duffed with kiddy lock (know who should be locked locked a bloody way) I was told to unplug and do all sorts of other things. Granted I am not a light bulb when it come to anything new still using an old computer when I brought a new one 6 mths ago ( almost a lol) And my tolerance level is minus nil so guess TV1 and me are chained together :)
Techno stuff leaves me for dead and money doesn't allow me to call in anyone. Any other really really basic simple ideas for an oldie happy to look at tried so much I just suffer on. But as Ellen Degernious (sp) is now on 2 x times a day with same show hanging myself seems more and more like an option sadly No no friends or neighbours to ask that haven't already been asked. Even a retired railways electrician couldn't do it :)

tmenz, Mar 19, 9:28pm
What make and model of Freeview box do you have?

tmenz, Mar 19, 9:30pm
Nobody should have to watch Ellen Degeneres - ever.

anne1955, Mar 20, 9:06am
Lol Well guess what's just started lol when one lives alone mostly it's just the sound of something/someone else around lol
The Freeview box is a Sommet can't see any model But as I say until my visitation by young one worked fine and now it's seems to have set what I image as kiddy lock and the code of course is unknown people have said 0000 and 1111 and likes but nothing seems to work and for me sorry sounds silly but stress of trying to duff around with it is more than I can take currently. Thanks

tmenz, Mar 20, 10:17am
Just to confirm - this is a Terrestrial UHF Freeview box that works with a UHF aerial - should have DVB-T written on the front of the box somewhere. Not a Satellite Freeview box that works with a dish - which will have DVB-S written on it.

OK, the usual advice here is to do a 'Factory Reset' and start from scratch but if the password code has been set to something unknown, then this makes it difficult.
There is usually a work-around, but the specific model number is required to research it.
I presume you have tried to do a Reset - usually accessed by:

MENU button,
SETTINGS or SYSTEM SETTINGS option,
FACTORY RESET option,
PASSWORD - default 0000,
CONFIRM, (All current information will be lost etc.)
RESET.

or similar procedure.