How square is square?

Page 1 / 2
tegretol, Jan 20, 3:12pm
How square would one expect a sheet (1200x600) of material like ply, Seratone or whatever to be?

pauldw, Jan 20, 3:53pm
Depends who cut it, aren't factory sheets usually 2400x1200?

fast4motion, Jan 20, 3:54pm
If it's from the manufacturer, I'd expect it to be very accurate.
But that size is likely to have been cut by the supplier, like the precut "easy panels" that hardware stores cut themselves, so I wouldn't trust it at all. Some of those employees shouldn't be let near a power tool. I bet they've had ample training, but I suspect all of it would've been regarding safety only.

tegretol, Jan 20, 4:19pm
Factory sheet. Sold as 1200x2400.

Dimensions are: edge 1= 2403mm, edge 2=2399mm, end 1=1202mm, end 2=1197mm. Diagonals are 5mm different.

maclad, Jan 20, 4:42pm
I do not believe that is good enough. Sheets are sold by their measurements, (square) and if they are out then it means a lot more work for you. I would not accept them.

skin1235, Jan 20, 4:49pm
thats strange mate, they're cut on gang saws, two blades set on the shaft 2405 apart to give a cut size of 2400, the rip is done on a narrower set as they automatically exit the first set
To get those measurements would mean they have been cut manually, and not very well, how many hands have they been through between the 'factory' and your place

skin1235, Jan 20, 4:59pm
when they manufacture plywood they form the shape with the required layers, and then press each panel , in a stack of about 40? panels - with a sheet of metal between each one in the stack
Those pressed panels are approx 3 mts by 4 mts, they can get 3 normal panels from each - the operators have to lay in the flinches the proper way to give optimum strength, and have to lay them to suit the final cut
The cuts are done on auto saws, 2 blades to give the 2400, and 3 blades to split out the 1200, the offcut from the 2400 is auto swung and run through the 1200 bank
They are check measured at several stages, from cut to treat, and stack, I would not think they could exit the factory if the measurements are what they are now
Simply take them back, they will replace them

zak410, Jan 20, 5:51pm
Sounds like a bad batch and if not suitable for your usage you should take it back.
Are you using it full size ?

tegretol, Jan 20, 7:28pm
It's actually Showerline. Have now also discovered that the ends are not even straight - most of them have a 3mm hook or bump over the 1200,

All 15 of them came from Bunnings, had cut two before realised how bad they were and couldn't make them fit. Thought my carpentry was bad but not so. It's a frigging pain as they are dam heavy sheets and I'll get the usual Bunning attitude when I return them.

krames, Jan 20, 9:44pm
if your using jointers then it isnt a problem at all

tegretol, Jan 20, 9:49pm
Depends on your level of pride in work.

tegretol, Jan 20, 9:50pm
Trying to but the added errors between sheets are too great to even get any to match. Bloody hopeless.

hammer23, Jan 20, 10:13pm
Pick an answer to your problem
No more gaps-- multi colours
40x10 batten
plastic jointer
only wear dark glasses on the job
negative detail [5mm gap]
6inch putty
1/2 round,every state house used it

pauldw, Jan 20, 11:15pm
Arrange the panels so the wide/narrow ends alternate.

tegretol, Jan 21, 10:39am
Cowboy is the word that comes to mind.

tegretol, Jan 21, 10:39am
Even so, the ends don't align to form a continuous drip edge. Nah they can go back. Just a pile of shit.

ross1970, Jan 21, 11:37am
Take it back. Completely unacceptable. 5mm diference on diagonals on a small factory sheet of something? No way.

krames, Jan 21, 2:38pm
actually it depends on your skill level, you still need to cut the sheets .It is almost a given that the internal corners on a bathroom reno will be off plumb (unless the room has had its frame work prepped by someone that knows what they are up to) so you still need to cut the sheets to suit.
It all comes down to experence.

strathview, Jan 21, 2:41pm
Take it back as is is not suitable for the job. Brother in law is a builder and that is what he would do along with giving them a stir up about shoddy materials.

krames, Jan 21, 2:46pm
Yes it is shoddy but in reality the time spent taking them back would be counterproductive, in that time you could have sorted the problem and moved on .

tegretol, Jan 21, 3:09pm
Nah. I framed the room out to within 1mm square and vertical so that sheets would go in side by side. No need to cut them as even allowing for jointers, the walls are exact multiples of 1200.

tegretol, Jan 21, 3:12pm
No they are all going back but the question will be where to get correct sheets from. The stuff is supplied by an outfit called IBS but not sure where it's made.

krames, Jan 21, 3:14pm
excellent ,then you need to take the sheets back and expain to them what you have written above and ask for a discount for your time wasted ,I would ask to see the trade manager and explain to him/her.

brafe, Jan 21, 10:04pm
Don't shop at Bunnings. Go to a proper building merchant.

amasser, Jan 23, 12:50pm
A complaint to the appropriate government department might sharpen their focus.