Will salt kill nostoc?

rocket61, Feb 9, 6:05pm
Any suggestions to get rid of this?
Grows on driveway.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/727045692.jpg

dibble35, Feb 9, 6:11pm
Its Nostoc commune, or as we call it gorilla snot. Its very hard to get rid of. We have had it for years at the nursery i work at. Have tried lots of things suggested to us and nothing actually has got rid of it yet. Best and cheapest thing we do for it is salt. We thickly sprinkle the cheap pool salt you buy from RD1 etc over it, it knocks it back for about 6-8 weeks and then it slowly regrows. Every little bit will multiply, and as soon as you get rain it grows quite quickly, or in our case regular irrigation over the warmer months.

maclad, Feb 9, 6:12pm
x1
Not sure but you could try a fungicide or a moss and mould killer. Pic not clear but thinking it is gorilla snot. Better drainage and keeping the area drier would help.

Nostoc is a genus of cyanobacteria that can be found in a variety of environments including aquatic and terrestrial habitats. While salt may have some inhibitory effects on the growth of certain types of bacteria, there is no definitive evidence to suggest that salt will kill Nostoc.

In fact, Nostoc is known to be a highly adaptive organism that can survive in a range of environmental conditions, including high salinity. Therefore, it is unlikely that salt alone would be effective in killing Nostoc.

If you are looking to control Nostoc growth, there are a few other methods you could try. One option is to physically remove the Nostoc from the affected area using a brush or other tool. Another option is to use a commercial algaecide or herbicide specifically designed for use in aquatic environments. It is important to carefully follow the instructions on any chemical treatment to ensure safe and effective use.

wheelz, Feb 9, 6:38pm
What about using vinegar? It's really good for fungi or moulds

wheelz, Feb 9, 6:43pm

dibble35, Feb 9, 6:46pm
Nope, doesnt work. Along with baking soda, copper sulphate, moss and mould killer. Washing soda crystals had a similar affect as the salt did, seemed to be one of the better products we've tried. But it was harder to apply than the salt so we stopped using it.

dibble35, Feb 9, 6:51pm
Lol, thats one of the forums I have made comments in, One of the only forums that I found that had lots of interested people

rocket61, Feb 10, 3:08pm
I'll try the salt, Thanks.

sboydnz, Feb 10, 4:03pm
Use Ecolab XY-12 or Sodium Hypochlorite Sanitiser, its available through Farmlands or similar suppliers. Mix it pretty strong and only spray it when its in the jelly type form. A Moss type product will also get rid of it but will work out to be very expensive. I have tried numerous products which has cost a fortune, Nostoc just laughs at them but, the above product will kill it, Like most pests leave it a couple of weeks & hit it again. What tends to feed the Nostoc, or make it worse, is roundup or Glyphosate particularly when you spray the weed killer on metal driveways/paths.
As someone has already commented the Rae Roadley site is a good read as well. I have commented on there also. Hope that helps.

tmenz, Feb 10, 4:24pm
Scrambled!

ebygum1, Feb 10, 4:32pm
This grows in our yard, plain diluted bleach knocks it back for a time, cheap to do every few months.

dibble35, Dec 27, 2:19pm
Im going to do a trial of this product at work. If it kills it outright after a couple of sprays then i would be happy with that result. Hopefully its not super expensive.