Will salt kill Wandering Jew?

jan2242, Oct 8, 10:08pm
I have a terrible problem with this pest on my property coming from neighbouring bush reserve (covered in it). Was wondering about a heavy dose of salt over it? Would that work, and if so I guess it is plain not iodised?

lythande1, Oct 8, 11:53pm
Probably not.
You need to cut it first, then poison it.
Salt will affect the soil too.

jan2242, Oct 9, 12:51am
Thanks, might try a patch and see what happens. Don't care about the soil where it is.

nzjay, Oct 9, 1:55am
I've had reasonable success with ordinary Roundup (glysophate) and a surficant. I just use about 40ml of ordinary dishwashing liquid to 100ml of Roundup for 10l of water.
A lot depends on the growing state of the plant as to the takeup of the spray, and you may well need to repeat this perhaps 3 times over a year. Don't expect the spray to be effective in the middle of winter or the middle of summer. By regularly 'attacking' any new growth you will beat back the advancing plant in a couple of seasons.

tigra, Oct 9, 2:01am
I had great success with a weedkiller that has a 6 month kill rate.
I used Ultimate which has Metsulphuron in it as an active ingredient

venna2, Oct 9, 4:32am
Apparently chooks like eating it. But of course they could bring problems of their own.

rainrain1, Oct 9, 4:36am
I think I heard somewhere once, to cut it back then spray with woody wood killer, you have to keep at it

thisles5, Oct 10, 7:50am
there is one in scotland, he has never been able to get together enough money to get home.

rj10, Oct 10, 8:15pm
Grazon will deal to wandering jew

jan2242, Oct 10, 8:23pm
Yep - have spent hundreds on grazon. I am talking about an area solid in the native bush backing my place - 16 metres long and slowly killing all natives! Good old auckland council! Never had the problem for 25 years when Rodney council looked after the reserve. Had enough now! Don't care if the ground is killed on the fenceline - had enough.

rainrain1, Sep 5, 11:43am
Wandering the Kings highway?