Trades in here please.

Page 1 / 2
motheroffour, Apr 10, 12:03am
We are about to start a major renovation. We will have all sorts of trades people through . Tell me about the things you appreciate done for you.
How can I make life easier for everybody?
What activities/actions should I avoid?
I want to be a good client.

survivalkiwi, Apr 10, 5:10am
The little things can make a big difference.
Make sure the tradies get good access. Have your cars out of the way before they arrive each morning.
Make sure your belongings are out of the way and they do not have to spend time moving them.
Give them easy access to power and water.
Make sure you keep friends and kids out of their way.
If they are working on a grass area that you keep a dog in make sure dog is tied up and there is no poo for them to stand on.
Make sure they know exactly what you want and expect.
Communication is the key.
And smile and let them know that you expect a smile back.

golfdiver, Apr 10, 5:21am
Don't offer any advice at all. Be nice and wait until the job is complete before commenting.

survivalkiwi, Apr 10, 5:41am
And getting your brother who worked on a building site in England as a labourer for 6 months back in 2003 to show up every day to keep an eye on the tradesman will NOT get you a better job.

mrsvonflik, Apr 10, 5:47am
I always provide tea & coffee & biscuits,all the tradesmen are very appreciative,

rotormotor7, Apr 10, 7:06am
Pleaae,please,please have all the bathroom fittings before you start and the house lignting. suply toilet paper. this coming from a sparky. take it you are still living at the property during reno?

Again from a sparky view, decide early on specific light switch/power point brands you want. in fact all electrical appliances too for kitchen etc.
Most tradies wont be fussed about tea and bikkies. too busy to keep stopping for that kinda stuff.

tweake, Apr 10, 7:13am
do not help. but your welcome to ask. sometimes there is jobs the home owner can do.
if there is something you want done or done a certain way, say so early on. nothing worse than doing the work only to find thats not what you wanted.
if you have advice on something speak up. a good tradie will listen and can tell you the pro's and cons. pointless waiting until the job is complete before talking about it. by then the tradie will tell you some BS and be out the door.
communication is key.

do not stand over them and bitch about the cost. keep the money side professional.

depending on if your managing the project or not, get the tradies in the right sequence. don't have one tradesman do another trade. ie don't let the builder do the plumbing or the plumber do the wiring.

be easy to reach. there are things that go wrong or choices to be made. be on hand so you can make the decision and they can keep working.

rotormotor7, Apr 10, 7:18am
Usually main contractor, builder, will take the lead and tell you at what stage to get the various trades in during the project. Are the trades all via builder. that make it easier. Assume no project manager on board.

socram, Apr 10, 7:36am
Number one for the all tradies we had was access to the toilet! They seemed very self sufficient and all brought their own lunches, though I think they appreciated my wife's baking as it all disappeared - but that could also have been because number 1 grandson was one of the building apprentices for a couple of weeks.

They were also grateful for an exterior power point, even though most were using portable tools, they still had several batteries on charge.

Oh and any tradies reading this, please don't scatter your dog ends all over the property - and watch your language. Many older ladies particularly, are not used to a constant banter of four letter words all day!

Incidentally, I was amazed how much I rescued from the skip and have used already! What is an offcut or waste for a builder, made my life a lot easier finishing all sorts of jobs inside after they had gone.

jkp58, Apr 10, 9:05am
Dont get stressed over the mess.Expect the unexpected it just afact of life with renovations.It will go over budget.E#xpect it to take longer than the estimated time frame they always do.enjoy the processs.Rome was not built in aday

nukhelenc, Apr 10, 9:11am
This is what i like
I like dogs away some place so i can leave gates open all day. I don't much like listening to endless barking :)
All cars outa my way b4 i get to the job.
I like to biff some sheets on the floor at the main door im going to use all day long
I like to leave the door open all day long, even if its raining, so long as floor not getting wet.
I like the owner to talk to me and tell me what they expect, I don't mind if they hang around at home and keep a bit of on eye on what's happening, but i also don't like them wanting to have constant gas bag if its not about the job, coz it just slows the job down to be honest, I like it even more if they just go out for the day, but always leave a cell # for me. Leave a key so i can lock up if ive gotta shoot out to pick up stuff. Show me the WC. Keep all door in the house closed that im not working in, stops shit going in rooms like dust etc.
The more stuff you can put away or cover up is always good. but i will cover things aswell.
Im always friendly and can be asked anything.
I try not to swear, but if lots of men about its going to happen maybe, so if you are out you wont hear it.
Did i mention Dogs? uummm yip lol, and those land mines.

nukhelenc, Apr 10, 9:19am
I was just quoting a job the other day, i told the owner if i get the job he will have to remove all the garden lights on the very edge of the drive as i would most likely wipe them all out with trailer as it was so narrow. Those things snap like flies after a few years of UV lmao.

5425, Apr 10, 9:21am
Remove soiled washing and close bedroom doors .
If a Tradie needs to enter a bedroom to access a roof manhole ,
think about what is displayed, also put down as many dust sheets as possible
to save the cleanup . Tradies will notice your efforts and will act accordingly
especially if a dust sheet is at the main access .

nukhelenc, Apr 10, 9:31am
Most trades folk will walk straight past that, and not even blink an eye, i know i would. I hate that program for how it branded everyone, coz we are not all like that, more so in the south island.
But yes keep it all away, i get clients that even joke about it from time to time, i hate it.

motheroffour, Apr 10, 9:36am
Wow.
Heaps of useful tips. Thanks everybody.

survivalkiwi, Apr 10, 9:39am
That tv show is a joke. Since when is a carpet cleaner a tradesman?
That show is /was full of false statistics.

nukhelenc, Apr 10, 9:43am
Good to keep ya kids away, coz nothing worse than the tradie having to babysit and constantly have to unplug power tools, It does happen that parents get slack. But if teens and they are keen, turn them into human carrying machines. or not.

tweake, Apr 10, 10:21am
yeah i had a toddler climb up my ladder up to the roof. i nearly crapped myself. the parents didn't give a toss :(

carter19, Apr 10, 5:58pm
I cleaned and swept each evening after they team had left. Made sure they had a loo, microwave and bench top oven, water, fridge etc.

survival kiwi , now that job training is a huge moneymaker, an enterprising ITO will now make carpet cleaning a three year course.

lythande1, Apr 10, 6:42pm
Husband hates that (when looking at cylinder for instance) they never empty it out first, and some have so much stuff crammed it, occasionally that has been the actual problem.

Don't tell him it's a "simple job" and it "will only take x minutes".
If that is the case - why are you not doing it yourself?

Pay on time.

kaddiew, Apr 11, 3:09am
Access to a toilet, yes - and in return as the client I DON'T expect to come home to a stinking loo and a tradie's unflushed deposit. Gross.

tweake, Apr 11, 5:43am
thats a good point.
find out where the manhole to the ceiling is, access to under the house, where to turn of the water etc.
the less time they waste looking for things the better for them and cheaper for you.

tezw1, Apr 12, 9:33pm
I do mainly large renovations and earthquake strenghting, so the best clients are the ones that put all there stuff in storage and move out for the duration of the project. My hours are 7am to 4:30pm if you require me start later or finish earlier then, as I am on wages, you are costing me money.

artemis, Apr 12, 9:43pm
This. Progress and final payments if paying subbies direct.

Our small company engages lots of subbies. We pay quickly, usually well before client has paid. Often tricky financially, but boy oh boy does it pay off big time when we want something done in a hurry or fixed.Don't underestimate the amount subbies talk to each other. They know all the bad or difficult clients.

socram, Apr 13, 9:56pm
LOL. We could certainly tell when there was one new tradie on site. Out of all those who were around over a two month period, 6 scaffolders, 3 shrink wrappers, total of 6 builders, 2 waterproofers, 3 roofers, 2 plumbers, 2 glaziers, only one let the side down in that department.