Frangipani.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 4, 2:26am
I am to be blessed with a cutting from a mature frangipani. I could google and follow that advice, but seems to me I get better and more generous help here. The conditions should be fine seeing this one lives in the neighbourhood and is coming into heavy blossom right now - but all recommendations including how and when to take the cutting would be appreciated. I notice it has a milky sap, so I'm guessing it has to dry off before planting?

junie2, Mar 4, 3:03am
Have just done a wee story on frangipanis, OHH. Son grows them from cuttings in Perth. Says to leave the cutting in a shady place till it has calloused. Then stick in a bucket of potting mix ( heavy on the sand ), water once, and leave. He prunes the main tree and takes cuttings just before winter. Best of luck.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 4, 3:06am
Funny how my grandmother's gardening training is reinforced by expert opinion. Your son's advice rings exactly right to me. Btw, my daughter and grandson are there too. I wonder if she's growing one - they always were her favourite flower. Thanks Junie!

junie2, Mar 4, 3:49am
My daughter's there too OHH. If your daughter wants one she could contact my son in Woodbridge. He has about 20 in buckets ready to go to new homes. Let me know if so, and I'll find a way to get an address/ph no to you. We hopped over to Bali from Perth last yr - wow that is the place for frangis. They were everywhere! And all colours. The Hindu Balinese make offerings to the gods every day - in the form of little baskets filled with frangi leaves and other tiny goodies. Smelled divine!.

oh_hunnihunni, May 8, 8:23pm
I can imagine. Bali has always looked like a magical place to me, never got there, but herself went last year before she got too 'baby big' and seemed to love it. I've emailed her with your kind offer and will yell if she thinks she can deal with a frangipani, on top of her lively 8 month old boy, and two rescued ragdolls as well as her Rabbitohs mad partner lol! Just as well she has plenty of energy.