Hi all.I *hate* Hardiplank with a passion BUT

Page 1 / 2
aeromo, Dec 31, 7:46pm
We have the rusticated hardiplank, had for 22 yrs. Still the same as beginning. Stained to look like wood. Need restaining but not sure what to use as original stuff is not available.
Also have a rental with the ordinary stuff and very old so interesting to hear about the asbestos aspect. Taken note. Thanks

newtec1, Dec 31, 8:40pm
Acrylic exterior paint is the way to go. Easy to apply and will expand and move with the W BDs. Not sure if the early type had asbestos ,but they were very brittle unlike the modern product which uses silica and is very soft and subtle.

pauldw, Jan 1, 1:59am
Both types are fibre cement, the difference being that early Hardie product used an asbestos fibre and late product uses a cellulose (wood) fibre. The silica (sand) content would be similar. The fine dust
from concrete cutting is another silica
hazard. The old stuff was often left unpainted but the wood fibre type must be sealed. Old sheets should be painted now just to seal in any loose dust.

newtec1, Jan 1, 7:10am
Screw it with S S screws and it will never work lose.Clouts are useless for that purpose.

christin, Jan 1, 8:14am
x1
Sorry to butt in, but as this is about cladding' can anyone tell me if this cladding has a name? Seems to be wood rather than something like hardiplank etc and prob mid 80's. Thanks

http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/355125696.jpg

newtec1, Jan 1, 8:41am
Is it solid wood,or a composite mixture. If it is a composite mixture it will be weatherside , i think that's what it was called and only used for a few years before it was banned because of breaking down and falling to pieces. Some that were painted well lasted the test of time,but plenty didn't. Ignore this post,they aren't that product.

newtec1, Jan 1, 8:45am
That looks like shiplap/rusticated weatherboards, or if not timber could be marlyclad vynal. if weatherboards from the 80s they would probably be cedar,the best you can get.

newtec1, Jan 1, 8:47am
You can also get hardiplanks that look very similar.

pauldw, Jan 1, 8:55am
Mid 80's, and the rest! Is there any reason to think the walls aren't original weatherboard.

newtec1, Jan 1, 8:58am
They could be 70s in which case they would be cedar. I think she said it was an addition to the original.

christin, Jan 1, 9:09am
Thanks. definitely an addition. the rest is stucco. 1920-1930's bungalow.
(sounds odd wood and stucco but fits on quite nicely I think).

It feels like wood, and always wondered what they were called. thanks. (looked up google. couple of pics under rustic weatherboards that looks very similar!)

cameron-albany, Dec 28, 6:45am
when you find a great little house on a great little plot and its cladding is Hardi. what are the options for re-clad? It's an awesome wee house that I've found but oh yuckie the cladding is crap. I can live with it for a cple years but does anyone have any good (not too expensive) options for re-clad? I really don't mind anything. just not Hardiplank! The house itself is really nice and solid and the land (1.5 acres) is perfect. Please give me your ideas :-) I'd rather not rip off and start again but maybe that's what I need to do ? The house is only small - less than 100sqm.

budgel, Dec 28, 8:19am
You would require a fully consented reclad with something like shadowclad if you want to keep the cost down, there would still be quite a bit of stuffing around to comply.

trade4us2, Dec 28, 8:42am
Is that Hardiplank as in asbestos cement board? I'd hate that too. It has to be removed carefully by experts.
Linea sounds OK but I have not used it.
I have 240mm Kauri weatherboards that I have to paint. Down by the ground I have used H4 pine, that will never rot. It's very cheap too.

budgel, Dec 28, 5:42pm
Linea is not a cheap option.

survivalkiwi, Dec 28, 6:12pm
Just one problem you may have is that any new cladding may have to be put onto cavity battens which can make it difficult to finish around existing windows.
Also hardie plank has not had asbestos in it for years.
There are no cheap options for a reclad.
your simplest options are Coulour steel/zinc, verious timber weather boards, shadowclad.
Unless the house is in one of those areas that are flying up in value I would be supprised if is worth the cost.
If you want to do this properly with council consents I think you will be supprised as to how much is involved.

sanders4, Dec 28, 6:54pm
How strange that our pole house ,built in 76 has hardiplank and it is as good as the day it was installed. No asbestos so maybe someone has been talking nonsense ?

cameron-albany, Dec 28, 7:31pm
Thanks all. I haven't inspected (yet) the exact type or age of Hardi as the property is still only an option, but the house would have been built sometime late 80's I think (or around that era).

Yes, the Council consent is what I would want to avoid - everyone knows the cost of consent is often nearly as much as the job itself.

So with that in mind. it is paintable, right ? At the moment it's a non-descript "traditional" Hardiplank colour but painted off to look more modern would probably go a long way to smartening it up and making it look less cheap.

fishdoc, Dec 28, 8:58pm
Went through this myself. Just choose some nice colours, and a good quality gap filler to fill any gaps that would normally catch the eye. I used colour steel colours off a resene chart. Titania low sheen for walls and blue denim for roof. White soffits and barge boards. Sellys no more gaps exterior for weatherboards seems the best. Just wipe it off throughly with a wet cloth as it dries as a silicone product does.

cameron-albany, Dec 28, 9:09pm
Thanks for that. I just looked up those colours and they're nice! I think painting might be a really good option.

newtec1, Dec 28, 11:28pm
Your best option is to reclad over the existing with Masada/twin wall vynal weatherboards.You won't need to touch the existing and won't need consent for a reclad which would involve new windows with double glazing. It is an excellent durable product that has a better profile than hardies and looks nice when finished and doesn't need painting. It will also add to the insulation factor because it has two surfaces with 10mm between then. Without knowing no one will know it has been reclad over existing because they have excellent finishes around windows and soffitt etc. Google it under 'Masada twin wall '. I have replaced many homes with this product ,even over cedar weatherboards because they didn't want to paint them every 5 years. No i am not invovled with the company , i was one of their contrators many moons ago. ps: if you want to strip the existing you will need a consent as per a leaky home and will cost magabucks.

newtec1, Dec 28, 11:33pm
Yes nothing wrong with it if you don't hit it with a cricket ball or anything else. It is fairly brittle but needs to be sealed properly ,paint etc.

kindajojo, Dec 29, 3:35am
Cedar.
Cedar and brick

newtec1, Dec 29, 3:44am
What about it. ?

stevo2, Dec 29, 5:01am
there is not and has never been asbestos in hardiplank.