HELP! Staining hardiplank

puppetman, Feb 6, 9:23pm
Our house has a nice light real wood look. It would have been done with Wattyl Hardistain. Aparently they no longer make this and looks like I might have to paint it. I love the wood stain look. Its really only one side of the house that needs doing at the moment. Any ideas of what to use!

puppetman, Feb 7, 1:30am
I might bump this up after hours in case any trades people see this.:)

peter148, Feb 7, 1:40am
Yes I have done this with Resene stain. It's easy, but messy to apply.The holiday bach house was vertical hardiplank sheets with decorative wooden battens in between each sheet.The wood battens took up more stain than the hardiplank, so the result looked kind of stripey, but was adequate for a holiday home.

It was called Resene Woodsman oil stain.After restaining it over the years we eventually covered it with Resene Lumbersider paint.

sanders4, Feb 7, 5:39am
Any acrylic paint reaaly hangs on to hardiplank- neighbours have woodgrain with dark paint which has now been on 25 years with no maintenance!

aeromo, Feb 7, 7:04am
We have the same as you puppetman. I was told at Mitre10 that I could use the waterbased aquadeck and exterior stain.
They advised me to ring wattyl who used to make the hardistain. but I haven't done that yet. Let me know if you find out anything.

puppetman, Feb 7, 9:01am
Looks like Timbakote makes a hardistain. Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Cheers. I will look into all these.

supernova2, Feb 26, 3:41pm
Ring tghe help line at any of the major paint brands.They will either have a product or they wont.Interestingly i went through the same recently regarding a rusty roof.The Dulux people had the whole system apart from the first step as they dont make one.How stupid is that!