Small bathrooms in modern homes can be a design challenge, especially when it comes to storage and organization. However, with the right DIY ideas, homeowners and renters can create stylish and functional spaces that fit within any budget. In this blog post, we’ll share practical and affordable DIY ideas for designing and organizing small modern bathrooms.
Why DIY Solutions are a Great Option
Because You’re Broke (But You Still Want Nice Things)
Let’s be real, who has the money to pay for a professional renovation or remodel? Not us. But that doesn’t mean we can’t have a Pinterest-worthy bathroom. DIY solutions are not only affordable, but they also allow us to add our own personal touch to our living spaces.
Because You’re Unique (And Your Space Should Be Too)
Who wants a cookie-cutter bathroom that looks like everyone else’s? Not us. DIY solutions allow us to get creative and design a space that reflects our personality and style.
Because You’re Handy (Or At Least You Think You Are)
Maybe you’re a DIY pro or maybe you’re a novice just starting out, either way, DIY solutions give us the opportunity to hone our skills and learn something new. Plus, there’s nothing more satisfying than completing a project on your own.
Because You Don’t Have Time for Contractors
Scheduling appointments, waiting for contractors to show up, and dealing with the mess they leave behind is a nightmare. With DIY solutions, you can work on your own schedule and avoid the hassle of hiring outside help.
Because You Want to Impress Your Friends (Or Instagram Followers)
Let’s be honest, we all want to show off our impressive DIY skills to our friends and followers. With the right DIY solutions, you can create a space that will make everyone jealous.
So, don’t be afraid to roll up your sleeves and tackle your bathroom renovation on your own. With the benefits of DIY solutions, you’ll have a space that is both affordable and uniquely yours.
Practical and Affordable DIY Ideas for Designing and Organizing Small Modern Bathrooms
Let’s Get Creative
When it comes to small spaces, creativity is key. With a little imagination and a few DIY tricks up your sleeve, you can transform your bathroom into a functional and stylish oasis.
No room for bulky cabinets or storage units? No problem. Floating shelves are a great solution for small bathrooms. They provide storage without taking up precious floor space and can be installed easily with just a few simple tools.
Maximize your space by installing a corner sink. Not only does it look sleek and modern, but it also frees up valuable floor space for other essentials.
Traditional doors can take up a lot of space, but a pocket door slides seamlessly into the wall, making it the perfect solution for small spaces. Plus, it adds a touch of sophistication to your bathroom.
Natural light is a game-changer when it comes to small spaces. Installing a skylight not only adds natural light, but it also makes your bathroom feel more open and airy.
Bring the outdoors in with a plant wall. Not only do plants add a touch of nature to your bathroom, but they also help purify the air and create a relaxing atmosphere.
Multi-Purpose Items and Smart Storage Solutions
Make the most of your small space by using multi-purpose items and smart storage solutions. Here are a few ideas:
- Use a shower caddy to keep items organized and within reach
- Hang towels on hooks instead of using a bulky towel rack
- Use over-the-toilet storage to maximize vertical space
- Install a medicine cabinet with built-in storage
With these practical and affordable DIY ideas, your small bathroom can be transformed into a stylish and functional space that meets all of your needs.
Ready to install some floating shelves in your bathroom? Here’s how:
- Measure the space where you want to install the shelves.
- Cut the wood to size using a saw.
- Sand the edges of the wood to smooth out any rough spots.
- Stain or paint the wood to match your bathroom decor.
- Install the brackets onto the wall using a drill and screws.
- Slide the shelves onto the brackets and secure them in place.
Installing a corner sink may seem daunting, but with a little elbow grease, you can do it yourself. Here’s how:
- Measure the space where you want to install the sink.
- Cut a hole in the countertop to fit the sink using a jigsaw.
- Install the sink faucet according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Apply a bead of silicone caulking around the edge of the sink.
- Place the sink into the hole in the countertop.
- Tighten the mounting clips underneath the sink to secure it in place.
Installing a pocket door requires a bit of carpentry work, but it’s worth it for the space-saving benefits. Here’s how:
- Remove the existing door and door frame.
- Cut a hole in the wall where the pocket door will slide into.
- Install the pocket door frame into the hole using screws and a drill.
- Hang the door onto the track and test it to ensure it slides smoothly.
- Install the door handle and latch according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Adding a skylight to your bathroom may seem daunting, but it’s easier than you might think. Here’s how:
- Choose the location for the skylight.
- Cut a hole in the roof using a reciprocating saw.
- Install the skylight frame onto the roof using screws and a drill.
- Apply a bead of silicone caulking around the edge of the skylight frame.
- Install the skylight pane into the frame and secure it in place.
Creating a plant wall is a great way to add some greenery to your bathroom. Here’s how:
- Choose the plants you want to use and purchase a plant wall kit.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to assemble the kit.
- Attach the kit to the wall using screws and a drill.
- Plant the plants according to their individual needs.
With these step-by-step instructions, you can easily transform your bathroom into a functional and stylish space.
Affordable Materials and Tools
When it comes to DIY projects, you don’t need to break the bank to get started. Here are some affordable materials and tools you can use to make your small modern bathroom look like a million bucks (without actually spending a million bucks).
- Paint: A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for your bathroom walls, and it’s one of the most affordable ways to update your space. Plus, you can get creative and add some personality with fun accent walls or stenciling.
- Tile: Tile can add a modern touch to your bathroom, and it’s a durable option for high-moisture areas. You can find affordable options at your local hardware store or online.
- Floating shelves: Adding some floating shelves can give you more storage space without taking up too much room. Plus, they’re easy to install and you can customize them to fit your decor style.
- Plants: Plants can add some life and color to your bathroom, and they’re also great for improving air quality. You can find affordable plants at your local nursery or home improvement store.
- Baskets and storage containers: Use baskets and storage containers to keep your toiletries and towels organized. You can find affordable options at your local dollar store or online.
- Hammer and nails: You’ll need a hammer and nails to hang shelves, hooks, and other decor items.
- Power drill: A power drill will make it easier to install shelves, hooks, and other items.
- Level: A level will ensure that your shelves, hooks, and other items are straight.
- Screwdriver: You’ll need a screwdriver to assemble furniture and other items.
- Measuring tape: You’ll need a measuring tape to measure the space and ensure that your shelves and other items are the right size.
With these affordable materials and tools, you’ll be well on your way to creating a stylish and functional small modern bathroom that won’t break the bank.
Maximizing Storage Space in a Small Modern Bathroom
In a small modern bathroom, storage space can be hard to come by. But fear not, there are plenty of creative ways to maximize your storage space and keep your bathroom looking neat and tidy.
When you’re short on floor space, the best place to look for storage is up. Here are some ways to use your vertical space:
- Shelving: Add some shelves above your toilet or next to your sink to store your toiletries and towels.
- Hooks: Install hooks on the back of your door or on a wall to hang your towels and robes.
- Cabinets: Hang a cabinet over your toilet to store your extra toiletries.
The area above your toilet is often overlooked, but it’s the perfect spot for storage. Here are some options for over-the-toilet storage:
- Shelving: Add some shelves above your toilet to store your extra toilet paper, towels, and toiletries.
- Cabinet: Hang a cabinet above your toilet to store your extra toiletries and towels.
- Baskets: Use baskets to store your toilet paper and towels.
When you’re short on space, it’s important to make every item count. Here are some multi-purpose items that can help you maximize your storage space:
- Mirrored cabinet: Install a mirrored cabinet that doubles as a storage space for your toiletries.
- Towel rack with shelves: Use a towel rack with shelves to store your towels and toiletries.
- Hanging organizer: Hang an organizer on the back of your door to store your toiletries and towels.
With these tips, you’ll be able to maximize your storage space in your small modern bathroom and keep it looking neat and tidy.
Incorporating Modern Design Elements
So, you’ve managed to maximize your storage space, but what about making your bathroom look modern and stylish? Fear not, because we’ve got some tips to help you achieve that contemporary look.
Choose a Minimalist Color Palette
Minimalism is all the rage nowadays, and for a good reason! The less clutter you have, the more peaceful and serene your bathroom will feel. Stick to a monochromatic color scheme, such as black and white, or go for soft pastels like blush pink or mint green. Whatever color you choose, make sure to use it consistently throughout your bathroom for a cohesive and streamlined look.
Incorporate Natural Materials
Nothing screams “modern” like incorporating natural materials into your bathroom design. Add some wooden accents, such as a teak shower mat or a bamboo soap dispenser. You can also include stone elements, like a marble countertop or pebble tiles on the floor. Not only do natural materials look sleek, but they also bring a touch of nature into your small space.
Use Geometric Shapes
Geometric shapes are another hallmark of modern design. Consider incorporating hexagonal tiles in your shower or using a round mirror to break up the straight lines in your bathroom. You can also add a geometric rug or towel to tie the look together.
Opt for Sleek Fixtures
Say goodbye to bulky, outdated fixtures and hello to sleek and streamlined ones. Choose a modern faucet or showerhead to give your bathroom an instant upgrade. You can also swap out your traditional towel bar for a more contemporary one or install a wall-mounted toilet to free up some floor space.
Add a Pop of Color
If you’re feeling bold, add a pop of color to your bathroom to give it some personality. This could be as simple as adding a bright shower curtain or painting an accent wall. Just make sure to keep it to one or two colors to avoid overwhelming your small space.
With these design tips, your small modern bathroom will look like it belongs in a luxury hotel in no time!
Modern Decor and Accessories
You’ve got your storage sorted and your design elements in place, but what about adding a touch of style with some modern decor and accessories? Here are some ideas:
Add Some Bling with a Sleek Towel Bar
Towels are a necessity, but they don’t have to be an eyesore. Upgrade your boring towel rack with a sleek and stylish towel bar. It’s an easy and affordable way to add a touch of modern design to your bathroom.
Get Fancy with a Rainfall Showerhead
Take your shower game to the next level with a rainfall showerhead. It’s like standing under a luxurious waterfall, and it’s a perfect addition to your modern bathroom. Plus, you can find affordable options that won’t break the bank.
Hang Some Artwork
Who said bathrooms can’t have art? Add some personality to your small space by hanging some artwork on the walls. It’s an easy and affordable way to add some color and style to your bathroom.
Upgrade Your Vanity
If your bathroom has a vanity, consider upgrading it with a modern design. Look for vanities with clean lines and geometric shapes that fit well with your bathroom’s overall design. You can even find affordable options that come with built-in storage, so you can maximize your space even more.
Add Some Greenery
Plants are a great way to add some life and freshness to your bathroom. Choose plants that thrive in humid environments, like ferns, spider plants, and peace lilies. You can even create a plant wall with some hanging planters to add some visual interest to your space.
Don’t Forget the Accessories
From soap dispensers to toothbrush holders, the right accessories can tie your bathroom design together. Look for options that match your modern design elements and color palette. And don’t be afraid to mix and match different materials, like wood, metal, and glass.
Now that you have some ideas for modern decor and accessories, it’s time to get creative and make your small bathroom feel like a stylish oasis.
So, you’ve got your small modern bathroom looking stylish, organized, and spacious. But what good is it if you can’t use it to its full potential? Fear not, dear reader, for we’ve got some practical tips to help you make the most of your bathroom’s functionality.
Use Multi-Purpose Items
In a small bathroom, every inch of space counts. So, why not make the most of your items by choosing ones that have multiple functions? Here are a few examples:
- Get a toilet paper holder that also has a shelf for your phone or reading material.
- Choose a towel rack that also has hooks for hanging clothes or towels.
- Get a shower caddy that also has hooks for hanging loofahs or washcloths.
Mirrors are a small bathroom’s best friend. They reflect light and create the illusion of more space. Here are a few ways to incorporate mirrors into your bathroom:
- Hang a large mirror above your sink to create the illusion of a bigger space.
- Install a mirror on the back of your bathroom door to make use of otherwise wasted space.
- Get a mirrored medicine cabinet to combine storage and functionality.
Use a Shower Caddy
A shower caddy is a great way to keep your shower organized and functional. Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a shower caddy:
- Choose a caddy that has adjustable shelves to fit your products.
- Get a caddy that has hooks for hanging loofahs or washcloths.
- Look for a caddy that has suction cups or tension poles to avoid drilling holes in your walls.
With these tips, your small modern bathroom will not only look great, but it’ll also be functional and practical. Happy organizing!
You’re now a DIY Master!
Congratulations! You made it to the end of this blog post, and you’re now armed with a bunch of awesome DIY ideas to transform your small modern bathroom into a stylish and organized oasis.
Don’t forget to share your results!
We want to see how your DIY bathroom transformation turned out! Share your before-and-after photos on social media and tag us. We can’t wait to see what you come up with.
Remember: small spaces don’t have to be boring spaces
Just because you have a small bathroom doesn’t mean it has to be cramped or boring. With a little bit of creativity, some affordable materials, and a can-do attitude, you can turn your small modern bathroom into a functional and stylish space that you actually enjoy using.
So what are you waiting for? Get out your tool belt, put on your DIY hat, and let’s get to work!