Just discovered Monty Don - Living Channel

nickyd, Jul 31, 10:01pm
What a great presenter he is.
Really enjoying the series "Big Dreams, Small spaces" - on Saturday 5pm. He's got such a gentle, humorous way about him and reminds me so much of Kevin McCloud to listen to (could listen to that voice all day ;-) ).
Well worth a watch if you have a smaller backyard - unfortunately think there are only 5 episodes in the series

piquant, Aug 1, 10:10am
If you can find a copy anywhere - I'm sure you'd enjoy his book, "The Sensuous Garden". It's an absolute favourite of mine and spends it's life sitting on my coffee table in the lounge. Lovely to pick up and read a few pages or drool over the stunning photography. You're right, he is a gentle, humorous man who understands the symbiosis between plant life and the earth. He reminds me of my dad who had the same ability to get the greatest pleasure from such simple things. The shape of a seed pod or dewdrops on spiders webs. The beauty of new beech leaves in spring or the dogged way they hang on, all brown and crumpled to form an interesting hedge over winter - until the new leaves push them off. Magic!
I hope I'm half as observant but I get transported into a different world when I watch his programmes. He lives not far from where I lived before we came to NZ in a beautiful part of the Herefordshire countryside.

nickyd, Aug 1, 10:04pm
Thanks -that was beautifully written - I will look for that book

kateley, Aug 1, 10:48pm
there was a series on Choice, called 'Gardener's World' I think, that was Monty in his own garden, showing what he'd done each week and other stuff. Was on Fri night after 'Better Homes and Gardens'
Hopefully, there will be another series soon

nickyd, Aug 4, 10:01am
Thanks, I will keep an eye out too!

iluvmuse, Aug 5, 5:18am
The last series of Gardener's World on choice was two years old. On the BBC it runs weekly from Spring to Autumn, about 30 episodes.
Choice might run a newer series in our Spring.
The BBC also extensively cover the Chelsea/Hampton Court Flower Shows, and many other spin-off gardening shows which you are likely only to see if you look online. Monty Don hosts a lot of it.

thistle4, Aug 12, 1:53am
I adore Monty Don. lol

antoniab, Oct 29, 12:42am
So glad Monty Don is back presenting Gardeners World, it really went downhill when Toby was the presenter I felt.