Old coal range

Page 1 / 3
hadhamfamily, Apr 22, 5:00am
Does anybody know where I can get my Shacklock 501 restored in Ch.Ch. area.It is wetback and I use it all the time in winter but getting house restored over coming months & would like coal range fully restored &re-enamelled as well. IncidentlyI run mine 50/50 coal & wood most of the time but if using wood only, the ashes are easily disposed of either in compost heap or around roses. Just make sure the are COLD.

helen149, Apr 22, 5:04am
We had one but the EQC people took it out after the earthquakes.I used to moan because it was dirty and always had to be cleaned, but man it made great roasts and our power bills were really cheap.I asked for another coal burner but we aren't allowed to use one, because you have to be like an acre away from your neighbours (something like that, can't remember what he said).However if the power companies say they may not be able to supply us well it would've been handy to have.
Any winter there was snow and the power out I used to cook the neighbours stews and their meal on it for them.Now I'm sorry we haven't got it.How come I could use coal before and I can't now!

buddytom, Apr 22, 5:25am
If you are in the Horowhenua Mitchpine on the levin foxton highway have fire wood offcuts for chip heaters ,its smaller size logs and wood that would be suitable for the stoves, I guess any sawmill would be worth ringing

golfaholic2, Apr 22, 5:27am
Coal has been illegal to burn in CHCH for a few years now .ECan are busy trying to clean up our air so they can issue industry more premits to discharge .

As for treated timber - the health department has deemed the smoke from a 9mtr high 10hectare pile of demo rubble burning out of control in Hornby / CHCH as safe .it's MDF , painted timber , treated timber , plastics and formica .

Makes you wonder sometimes huh

helen149, Apr 22, 5:45am
It sure does!Rules for some and not for others eh!

anne1955, Apr 22, 6:29am
I can't wait to get into my 'new' place and cook on and in mine haven't had a coal range for years.Use to love it probably wont be able to do my stunning pav's in it but oh well.Mine doesn't have a temp gauge so guessing birds might get a bit of food for a time.I cranked it up the other day when I was there and hasn't been use for some years just went like it should I too will have to get us to the heats agin.
Now the other night on a tv program think it was T Radow (SP) any it was said if using wouuld lower the fire box and coal have it higher as they burn at different and will burn fire box's out if used wrongly not on the bottom I don't think but lower than it is for coal didn't look inside mine but will do next time I am there.Just remembered it as it will be a wood and coal mix I will be using.Maybe we can share things :)

skin1235, Apr 22, 7:05am
it won't take you long before you will be able to judge the temp by touching the oven door, and you will find that there will be a cooler area on that too ( generally on the bottom corner furtherest from the firebox ) but be aware when I say cooler it will still be quite hot, just a bit cooler than the top corner closest the firebox
wet your fingers and flick droplets at the door , if they turn to instant steam it is hot enough for scones, if they bubble a bit before drying its good for a roast, if they run down the door steaming gently its just about ready for a small sponge, or sponge topped pudding - but stoke the fire now so the top will brown, or leave the fire to go out and put your pav in now
there were many other ways to gauge the heat of a non indicating oven, remember though that these were only indicators and the oven must have been turned on for a while before using them
if turning it on confuses you restart reading the thread from the top

thuband, Apr 22, 7:09pm
We have a new coal range, best investment for sure, heats water, house and cooks our meals. We installed just before last winter, and are using again now for a couple of hours each night to heat water and cook on, don't very often use the electric oven and gas hobs.I find if we are running 24/7 it will need to be cleaned once a week, as we are running ours for a couple of hours each night, at the moment once a month.

freedreamz, Apr 23, 7:16pm
had mates that used theirs in the garden for a bbq, was awesome

amazing_grace, Apr 23, 7:30pm
I have a modern coal range , a Rayburn, it is wonderful.We are rural and so dont have any clean air requirements to adhere to.It burns wood and coal.It is wonderful!It bakes beautifully, and keeps the house lovely and warm.we have it going all the time now, in the summer not so much (we do have a gas stove as back up for when it is too hot).

we do have to cut our wood shorter than usual.

anne1955, Apr 25, 6:58am
Thanks great posts.I am waiting for the new power lines to go onto the old place, getting to the stage I want to live there now without power. :)Sadly there is no hot water. Only what I heat via the range.But have the shower nutted :) Even though part of my reason to move is to be away from people haha and be able to write in peace and quite.But guess the smell will even get the better of me :)
I have had wetback on a pot belly 12 years ago and my power bills where 8.00 a month and lived in a coal mining town with cheap coal.And way back had it to a coal range and no washing machine :( and a hubby that was a fisherman with overalls that well need I say more.I use to fill the bath upstairs are wash them with the in the bath stomp method.:) Glad those days are gone.It will be a trip to city every couple of weeks for major clothes washing until I find an old washer wringer style at a reasonable price.Sadly they seem to be the "it" now why if you don't need it.Actually I know that answer they are still the best washers out.Oh well it will be fun.

skin1235, Apr 25, 7:18am
anne, after 30 years in this house and 7 kids I stupidly waited until after they'd all left home before fitting a simple gas califont in the bathroom for the shower
I cannot understand why I did not do this while they were at home, I still remember the fighting etc over who had been in the shower too long, and bitterly remember having to wait for the water to reheat until by about 11.30pm it was just warm enough to have my own shower ( lukewarm) - the kids would be up at 6.30am to use what hot water was there too - we fitted a wetback to the logburner sometime in there, that alleviated a lot of the problem and dropped the power bills, but still often had cool showers

on trademe you can get a califont today for about $250, runs off a gas bottle, needs about 5psi to run at 5 lt per min ie will run from a header tank on the roof = hot water issues solved
agitator washing machine is a little harder to fix but have seen it done with a bucket and a tight fitting lid, screw a short wooden baffle down opposite sides, ( inside) ( stops cloths just sliding along the side), half fill, add wash powder, cloths, put lid on, lay on side, push with your foot all arond the yard = washing done, almost as good as the old agitator and no power used
note most of those old agitator machines had a cover on the side which if you removed you can fit a pushbike driven drive belt through to drive them!, no power and exercise at the same time
have you installed a meat safe or cool box yet!
ya know if you played your cards right you could go completely without power - have an old Olympus typewriter here, needs a new ribbon

anne1955, Apr 25, 7:50am
What a wonderful read Thank you.Yes the gas and or an electric califount has crossed my mind had an electric one and I gave it away.Currently I don't have a 100.00 let alone more.I am working on a battery operated rechargable unit. Drop it into a bucket of hot water :)And I am fitting that into a grey water system for the garden.My water is a rain water tank.There is an old meat safe pretty uk at present the only place in house the mice have got to otherwise it's sealed tight as which is great.The bunck house outside is full of the little buggers, I figure open the door and let the cat have fun :)
No phone and marginal mobile, have to put in a dish for tv when here I have an ariel.But across the road is beach and nore beach.And native birds and more beach, did I say about the beach :) And only 11kms from a supermarket.But road can be iffy in the frosts.But I am going there to write.I will get the net via rural broadband.But can't see me paying for a phone line in not for awhile anyway.Power first :) TV second.
Then a washing machine :)

skin1235, Apr 25, 8:07am
sounds like a couple of solar showers would come in handy, you can fill them with hot water and hang them up, even have a rope to lift them to hieght, 20 litres of hot water gives a good shower, sit a large pot on the coalrange - it will be too hot so add enough cold to suit and it will fill the solar shower, no rechargeables required

what do you anticipate needing power for!, coalrange for cooking and heat, can use 12v led lighting, runs off of a car battery for days without charging - and a small 3w solar panel will keep it charged forever
rural broadband requires a dish and power, and about $90 per month, but you'd probably not get broadband via landline anyway
power for fridge!, that meatsafe can be made cool enough to keep milk for 3 to 4 days, it won't keep icecream but it will keep meat etc

seriously take a look at the powerless washing machines - bit like a small concrete mixer you turn by hand, the bucket above works well too

is it a populated area, can you find a spring handy to pipe to the water tank! - you say the road is dicy in frosts so I assume a hill, often find running water off the sides etc

skin1235, Apr 25, 8:08am
bet you will have trouble getting much writing done for a few months , there'll be too many other adventure to be had, lol
and that beach to walk, and walk, and walk, and the seals around the next bay to watch, then walk, and walk, til you're too tired to even think of writing, then will go for an evening walk to refresh, lol

found a link to washing machine
http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/d775_Camping_Washing_Machines.html

thats new, they come up on here sometimes a lot less ( that top one is $99)

skin1235, Apr 25, 8:21am

anne1955, Apr 25, 8:38am
Skin1235 I thank you so much for not only the input but the chearing up and laughing Not that I needed chearing up as such.But the laughter never goes a miss.And yes I have a firend there that "walks" and rides a bike :( I never had one as a child so can't see it at this late stage in life.I use to walk 7kms a night but it cost me a very expensive ring uninsured and a smashed cheek bone So it will be slowly slowly for awhile :) The block around from the "hut" is 1 km so good to see what I can do weighing in the heavest I ever have thanks to HRT.And yes I have seen those washing machine and thought about them But I'll wait I think till I have a spare 200.00 and keep my eys pealed at auctions etc.Some things a bit dependant on what I can sell here that I can live without :) 2 ton of kitchen must haves haha.Sadly I can't see me without power even using batteries, for things.So I wait till tomorrow with baited breath for when they will do the lines.Happy for your imput keep up the good work I thank you muchly Anne

skin1235, Apr 25, 9:06am
it's only 9 pm and if as I assume that 1955 is a YOB then its far to early for you to be hitting the hay yet, Dunedin!, never been there but impression I have is it is not the kindest place to be getting back to nature/basic/pioneer type enterprises, maybe that beach will come in handy, for firewood, and exercise cutting it ( electric chainsaw!)
you say they should have the wiring in tomorrow, hope that hasn't been too much hassle, they don't usually reconnect older buildings without serious rewiring requirements, or new connections without costly code meeting requirements, especially older places that have as you saw a mouse population - and yep the cat or a small rescue dog of the terrier type /size will soon have them moving away
what ta 'ell is HRT, but yeah easy steps, each one counts but keep safe, was a time that a mile out of town meant pretty safe, two meant really safe, 3 meant you could frolic naked at noon in safety, but that is not the case today, avoid the evenings walk of any great distance ( you may come across some noon frolic er thats lost track of time, not a pretty sight by moonlightbut still not as bad as in broad daylight I guess lol
black sand down that way or is it more quartz type white or coral type yellow, no great matter, you'll soon have the beach comber thing down pat, dragging ropes and plastic bins home willy nilly, then the artistic driftwood look for the paths and planters
are you sure you want to do all this in Dunedin!, av temp in winter is marginally warmer than my freezer

mrfxit, Apr 25, 10:40pm
Geeeee'sus blimin heck you two. GET A ROOM outside of TM please.
All this chatter about beach's etc ISN'T doing my work schedule any good . or for keeping diesel in the truck for other trips

skin1235, Apr 26, 12:03am
the joys of living close to a beach huh dave, its a long way from your door to the surf bugga
I can pop down between showers and get an onion bag of mussels, be home within 2 hrs and thats only because the old labby is too fat to run fast for long - he usually ends up in the bin for the last 1/2 km, about a lt of diesel in the ute and a lt of petrol in the bike
hate to rub it in but the ropes and fishbins etc are all handy too, even picked up a sea kayak complete last year, with paddle still bungy'd to it's top, barnacles under it so it had come quite a way, works great for slipping a longline out though
I refuse to bring home 'artistic driftwwod' for garden ornaments though, theres no room among the vehicles and quads for more junk

.jillybeen., May 14, 6:35pm
x1
Do they work well.!If you have one what do you burn in it!.Is coal still available!.What are they like to cook in!

biggles45, May 14, 6:53pm
My gran used one and it was awesome, cooked stews, casseroles and roasts like you've never tasted before (or since)! We had a rental with one in and the tennant used it even though there was also an electric oven.

Would be interested if anyone has had an old one recently installed. Was there any problem getting it permitted, as we have one that is in great condition but not installed, and would love to install and use it.

skin1235, May 14, 9:09pm
not as fast to boil the kettle as electric, but apart from that are well worth the effort
you say old, if it hasn't been apart and had new seals etc it would pay too do that
It's not hard to unscrew the top plate and replace the seals ( $10 mt from most glass suppliers - same stuff they use around the glass on log burners - and a tube or two of mechanics exhaust sealer
back at manufacture they were not too particular about air gaps but today we know that too much air is an uncontrollable fire, seal up as many gaps as you can

burn dry wood, coal, coke if you can still get it, home made brickets etc
most have a crude thermo on the oven door , and they work, just not always accurate, it may show 350 when you put the roast in but 4 hrs later you realise it is only 220 and the roast is still raw, experience with that stove will tell you what to add or subtract from what the thermo says
you have controls to open or close the flue, and to direct the heat across the oven and away, or down around the oven for oven use
top cooking if fine - same as an electric, remove a ring or two to suit the full pot base for high over the fire box or further along for less heat more simmer, or put a ring back in
the secret if there is any is to get a good fire bed so you don;t hae to keep opening it and adding cold fuel while cooking
absolutely love cooking on them

the larger hotels still use large ones ( diesel fired now ) with ovens beneath and a cooktop several mts long and wide

mothergoose_nz, May 14, 9:17pm
dont forget you have to clean the soot around the oven to keep the air circulating.iput an old one into a house 30 years ago.it was wonderful.sold the house a couple of years later and the first thing the new owners did was take it out.the new ovens have a bigger firebox and the wood doesnt have to be cut small.

marte, May 15, 2:44am
Heats the hot water for cheap, wayyyy less power used.