Monarch caterpillar wont stay on the plant?

cgrace1, Feb 11, 1:27am
Hi, for the last 2 days, our caterpillar has been climbing off the swan plant and onto the side of pot. what is it doing!

pericles, Feb 11, 1:29am
might be about to turn

dbab, Feb 11, 1:45am
Mine keep disappearing. I had one yesterday which was hanging in a J shape ready to change into a chrysallis, and this morning it's gone.

russ18, Feb 11, 2:00am
We have some swan plants growing against a fence, put some netting around them to stop the chickens from getting them (just in case). We currently have 10 chrysalis hanging from the fence underneath the top rail, two on the swan plants and 1 on the netting.
Actually saw one go from a hanging J into a chrysalis, it's skin split at the bottom and moved up taking the legs with it then fell off - remarkable.

accroul, Feb 11, 2:27am
My caterpillars usually migrate to turn into chrysali, seldom do they seem to stay on the plant.

maclad, Feb 11, 3:44am
I have a theory that the 'pillars leave the plants when they turn into a chrysallis because if they do it on the plant there is a chance the leaf they decide on will be chewed through and the chrysallis will end up rotting on the ground. Self preservation so to speak. Does any knowledgeable person know any other reason.

rachiem, Feb 11, 6:36am
It's trying to find a place to turn, don't keep putting it back on the plant your just making it work harder :)

maximus74, Feb 11, 6:44am
if its quite a big fat looking caterpillar then it may be about to turn

stevee6, Feb 11, 7:39am
Put a twiggy stick in the side of the pot and encourage it up there - imo it wants to turn.

curlcrown, Feb 11, 8:50am
Wasp eat a lot of them.

annedee, Feb 11, 10:05am
sure do, we have moved the plants with chrysalis into garage to give them protection. Had a few butterflies manage to hatch since doing that.

brightlights60, Feb 11, 10:10am
Well my wife has a big swan plant here with no eggs or caterpillars, so if anyone has any spare we'd love some!

wheelz, Feb 11, 6:58pm
They make a stalk out of silk they spin to hang on from they last few days of eating. If they are constantly moved when trying to do this, they cannot form a strong enough stalk to hold them while hanging, therefore they fall off and usually die. Leave them to do their thing.

cgrace1, Mar 3, 11:48am
It turned :) climbed back onto the plant